SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

Crepe Myrtles in Rose Beds

sandy808
16 years ago

Does anyone else besides me feel that Crepe Myrtles attract insects (such as thrips,etc.) and fosters some fungal crud?

I have a rose bed that has a fairly good-sized Crepe Myrtle in the center of it. All my roses are spaced well around it and have adequate sunlight, although I am sure this Crepe myrtle is still blocking the sun to some degree. The whole bed faces east and south. The Crepe Myrtle is healthy because it gets the same treatment the roses do. It has become a "small" tree.

One problem is that from a direct view into the bed, the Crepe Myrtle "takes away" from my big trellis with my newly planted Marechal Niel. It is smack dab in the line of sight. Viewed from the side, the trellis can be seen just fine, and the Crepe Myrtle is attractive.

However, it drops blossoms on a continual basis when in bloom, which results in a moist mushy mess on the ground. Not a nice thing in our humidity. I also noticed because I don't spray it anymore, that a lot of leaves get crud. Ants love to march up and down it in, and the ants have been bad this year.

One of our local rosarians, and former rose nursery owner, told me several years ago that Crepe Myrtles can make roses get fungal diseases, and not to plant one near my roses unless the Crepe Myrtle gets sprayed on a regular basis. (This one was planted before the roses).

I did notice in the spring that this particular bed would have clouds of what I think were thrips fly up in the evening, if I went out in that garden area before sunset. It was awful. The thrips were horrible - for weeks on end.

My other rose beds do not get like that. Although some roses in other areas of my yard had thrips, this particular bed has been infested with them. Right at the moment I'm not seeing thrips, thank goodness! Now it's fungal crud.

I have mixed emotions about removing the Crepe Myrtle. It is a graceful looking tree in the center of a rose bed, with an angel statue and a very small bubbler type fountain. Perhaps I am imagining that it is causing a problem. The thing is, my roses that are planted among my palm trees don't have any major issues.

I'm interested in thoughts on this, especially if anyone else has wrestled with this situation.

Sandy

Comments (38)