SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markyd311

Ripped crepe myrtles. What's next?

markyd
12 years ago

OK, so here's my deal. On the front, street-facing side of my house, I have an elongated garden space that is about 14' long by 5' wide. It faces west. I just got done yanking out the crepe myrtles that have been there since we moved in 4 years ago. Holy smokes, those were really in there. There's still some roots left that I have to figure out how to get out. I hated the look of them.

It's currently native clay and weed-infested. There's also lots of grass growing in there from when I mow the lawn.

I have about 50 plants in buckets that are about done due to the weather. There's good soil in those buckets. I also have several bags of cotton burr compost. My plan is to dig out the weeds/grass/roots that remain, and dump all my soil and compost in there...then do my best to work it into the clay. A few questions:

-What bulbs can I plant within the next few weeks? I have never had a flower garden, so this is all new to me. I do believe, however, that this is the time to plant bulbs that will emerge in the spring.

-Is there anything (live) I can plant now that will make it through the winter and come back in the spring, or am I better off waiting until Spring? I'm open to flowers, ground cover, or whatever might look nice and survive next summer in the west-facing bed.

I basically have a blank canvas here, and I'm not really even sure where to start. Any guidance from the ornamental experts on here would sure be appreciated!

Mark

Comments (6)