SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Saving Vintage Gardens

luxrosa
15 years ago

We have a great resource at our fingertips, the modern Garden Web rose site, there could be hundreds of modern rose growers who would like more variety in their garden, and would grow early H.T.s, Pernetianas, Hybrid Musks, Polyanthas, if they could read more about them.

I suggest that several of us volunteer to write a few article quality postings, and put them on the modern rose website, to encourage newbies to try growing Older Modern Roses, that happen to be available from our freinds in Sebastopol next spring. Along with an invitation to visit the Antique Rose Site.

A few suggestions:

A. Why early Hybrid Tea class rosebushes, 1867-1910 produce blooms of a more delicate quality, than later H. T. roses. (Tea parentage).

B Shade tolerant roses from the Hybrid Musk and Noisette classes.

C. Polyantha roses

D. Rosebushes for the backyard: Hybrid Musk and Noisette roses. Easy to care, little to no pruning, leave them alone and enjoy.

D. The difference between Tea and Hybrid Tea class rosebushes and why people in warmer climates often grow both.

I believe it would be a great kindness to gardeners for us to start documenting Old Rose cultivars, by health and ease of growth, so that people new to Old Roses might be more confident about ordering.

for example:

Best Polyantha roses.

"Mlle. Cecille Brunner" has long been a favorite rose in Berkeley, California, where its' dainty pink buds bloom in mass during spring, summer and autumn. It may well have been one of the 12 most popular Polyantha roses, over the last 100 years.

My landlady bought hers from vintagegardens.com., and I've enjoyed filling little budvases with its' blossoms, one of the most feminine of all roses. This would be a perfect rose for a wedding, or anniversary gift, it has long been called "The Sweetheart Rose". Healthy enough to be grown by organic gardening methods in Northern California, where it is only slightly suseptible to P.M. in spring, and a bit of blackspot in the Autumn. Lots of beauty for very little work. It is fragrant too.

Luxrosa.

Comments (2)