SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

'Alba Odorata' An exceptional white rose.

luxrosa
16 years ago

Not an Alba. helpmefind.com lists its parentage as

Rosa bracteata X Tea. 1834 hybridized by Mariani.

Although the Bracteata hybrid "Mermaid" is well known and commonly grown, in my opinion "Alba Odorata" is every bit as fine. One of my neighbors grows "Alba Odorata" on a fence, where she keeps it pruned to a tidy 8 feet tall by 7 feet wide, by less than 4 feet thick. It begins blooming in early August, and continues for 2 to 3 months.

I love "Alba Odorata" for its' buds, blooms, fragrance and leaves, all of which are exceptional, for having:

-ivory rosebuds that have a beautiful almond shape, and are held vertically on very short pedicels. The buds require hot weather to open.

-white roses also have a lovely and distinctive shape, shallowly cupped with nearly flat centers.

-fragrance that is heavenly, and reminds me of the scent of Tea "Victor Velidan", with the scent of honey added.

- abundant display of glossy green leaves, that are nearly as dark green as holly foliage,

I only wish its' fragrance was constant, here it comes and goes, and is strongest in hot weather with high humidity and disapears in cold weather.

Luxrosa

Comments (4)