SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Looking for suggestions on 2 roses:

cziga
14 years ago

I am looking for 2 roses, one white and the other a cool or pale yellow. Both are for the back of the border, and should be somewhat tall (i.e. not 3 ft tall), but also not climbers. They'll have no support and will need to make a good freestanding bush! I know that all roses grow different heights in different climates, so as an example, Yolande d'Aragon would be a perfect size - upright, taller more than wide, and in my garden she is about 5 ft tall in her 3rd year (and about 2 ft wide).

Several requirements:

1. Must be reasonably hardy. I'm in zone 5 but can sometimes push a little bit.

2. They need to be somewhat tall in height, but not too wide. More tall than wide. I'm looking for upright or vase shaped bushes that don't get too wide.

3. Reblooming

Scent is not as much of an issue (although would be a plus) because they will be next to beautifully fragrant roses.

As far as white goes, I was looking at Boule de Neige (bourbon), blanc de vibert (damask-portland), possibly blanc double de coubert (rugosa - although it sounds a little short), and marie bugnet (rugosa)? Do rugosas sucker? Are these good choices for the requirements I've listed? Are there any really good roses that fit those criteria that I am missing?

I really love the look of the rugosa Polareis but it looks blush pink more than white, and probably wouldn't go in this location . . .

As far as yellow goes, I have very few ideas :) Most OGRs don't come in yellow, and I've never been quite sure why there are so few yellows (outside of Teas). Since I'm looking for hardy, reblooming and upright, I was thinking a yellow David Austin? Any suggestions? I know there are a variety of yellow Austins . . . which are taller more than wider? No huge octopus arms? Ideally I'd like a cool yellow rather than a bright yellow . . . Charlotte? Jude the Obscure? (looks a little short) I really know very little about the Austin yellows.

I'd love to see some photos of any of these, especially full bush shots, to get an idea of what they mature into. I can find lots of close-ups of the flower shots, but few bush shots to give a sense of the shape/size that they'll grow into :)

Thanks so much!

Comments (9)