SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flaurabunda

Looking for suggestions on rose bed placement for next year

flaurabunda
13 years ago

I have a blank slate in the back yard and I'm trying to figure out the best placement for new rose beds that I'll plant next spring. The picture below shows the only area that gets enough sun to support roses. The fence on the left side of the picture is on the south side of our yard. We hacked a former tree back to the 6' stub standing in front of the neighbor's shed, and did this mainly to remove the shadows it cast in the area before 11 am and after 3 pm.

{{gwi:278027}}

The main problem is that the ground slopes toward the fence. I would love to simply plant beds a couple of feet in front of the fence without elevation, but I know that would cause a root-rotting nightmare as all rain would drain & sit right where the beds would go.

I don't believe I can level the grade out without ripping out the existing fence. I'm trying to avoid anything that's going to be horribly expensive. I'm thinking of constructing cedar rectangles & either running parallel to the fence, or placing them at 45-degree angles for a pleasing "V" effect....Like \\\ /// with a fountain or statue in the middle, eventually. How on earth can I do this with the slope? Also, when I get near that ex-tree, I have roots to contend with. How high would I need to elevate the beds if I stay 6 feet away from the tree in order to avoid root competition?

Me & the DH keep trying to come up with a plan, but we're stumped. We really would love to have some roses we can enjoy from the deck, and right now we can't see any of them since they're planted alongside the house or in the front yard.

Waiting for your wonderful suggestions,

Laura

Comments (12)