SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Roses not growing - boy, am I stupid!

jacqueline9CA
13 years ago

I am posting this in case anyone else has been as stupid as I have, although that would be difficult!

We made a mistake - not unusual. The stupid part is that it took me 3 years to figure it out!

I hate to dig holes for roses in our hard clay soil. Also, we are really out of space with anything resembling enough sun for roses, so we have put some of them in half wine barrels on top of paved areas. Over the years the roses grew, and I think the roots grew through the very old blacktop. We have some huge climbers such as Buff Beauty and Sombreuil and Cl Ice Berg that are thriving, even though they started life in the barrels, and are still growing out of them.

Then came the mistake - the old barrels fall apart eventually, and look horrid. My DH found some concrete pavers that are intended to be used for edging garden beds. Some of them are curved. He discovered that he could make containers for roses by using only the curved ones, and piling up 3 layers of them. Then we just filled them with planting soil, and planted the roses. The containers were beautiful!

I planted a fortuniana, a Susan Louise, and another rose I can't remember the name of right now in 3 of these, in far apart areas of the garden. None of them grew at all, despite being fed and watered, and in sun. They were also pruned a lot by deer, so for a way too long time I blamed the deer on the fact that they were not growing. The fortuniana really bothered me, as we had planted it to replace one that had come into our yard from a neighbor's garden, and had grown 20 feet up one of our trees before it died. The one I planted remained about 20 inches high, three years after I planted it. Lately I was looking at the Susan Louise a lot, because it is one of the roses right next to our house, which is being painted. I wanted to make sure the painters were not stepping on SL. They weren't, but it was still not growing, in fact, it was still only 9 inches tall, and dying back.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, a lightbulb went off. It occurred to me that concrete is very alkaline, and perhaps had upset the PH of the soil the roses were in. I poured plant food for acid loving plants all over the tiny Susan Louise. WIthin a week it had put out a lot of new growth, which it had not done for over a year! Boy, did I feel like an idiot!

So, sharing this tale in case anyone else has this type of "brilliant idea" -

Jackie

Comments (10)