SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fogrose

Concern about bee die off and plants from big box stores!

fogrose
10 years ago

Below is an excerpt from an article I just read which I thought should be of concern to all gardeners given the dire situation about bee die off. I think it's very important to know how our actions affect the environment. Link to full article is below.

Diane

Excerpt from article:
Tests Tie Bee Die-Offs to Pretreated Plants Sold at Garden Centers

Now, a first-of-its-kind pilot study2, released by Friends of the Earth and its allies, reveals that many homeowners unwittingly contribute to the problem by purchasing so-called "bee friendly" garden plants sold at Home Depot, Lowe's, and other garden centers i.e. plants that attract bees that have been pre-treated with pesticides that could in fact be lethal to the bees.

As it turns out, more than half of the plants tested were found to have these toxic pesticide residues. Contaminated plants included tomatoes, squash, salvia and flowers that would be attractive to pollinators. As reported by Friends of the Earth3:

"The pilot study, co-authored by the Pesticide Research Institute, found that 7 of 13 samples of garden plants purchased at top retailers in Washington D.C., the San Francisco Bay Area and Minneapolis contain neurotoxic pesticides known as neonicotinoids that studies show could harm or kill bees and other pollinators...

'Our investigation is the first to show that so called "bee-friendly" garden plants contain pesticides that can poison bees, with no warning to gardeners,' said Lisa Archer, director of the Food and Technology Program at Friends of the Earth. 'Bees are essential to our food system and they are dying at alarming rates. Neonic pesticides are a key part of the problem we can start to fix right now in our own backyards.'"

Here is a link that might be useful: full article about bee die off

Comments (7)