SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Siting/spacing roses that are part of perennial borders

I am on year 3 of building my border beds and it has been a laborious process! I started with my shrubs and roses set back and staggered, then decided to put a border along both sides of my long sidewalks. Since the sidewalk is a good 80 feet long to my porch, just 4 ft wide beds take a long time to dig, prep and stock with seedlings! Next I will be working my way backwards to incorporate the shrubs into the border since we currently have to mow around all the roses and shrubs and we all hate to do that nitpicky mowing. PLus the grass is constantly invading the rose root zones despite mulch and I need to dig it out of the entire area.

So my questions are: 1. for shrub roses that will not get above 5 ft circumference, how much space do you leave between them and your perennial plantings? Do you include stepping stones to demarcate zones/help with getting to the rose space for pruning?

2.I've had so much blackspot this 2nd year that I'm leery of putting more flowers even closer to my rose plantings. How do you who incorporate roses among the flowers do it and avoid the BS?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Comments (10)