SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Anna Olivier

jacqueline9CA
10 years ago

Sometimes it has been hard to describe the normal look of this rose (as opposed to the 15% of the time when it is some other color - tea roses have such good imaginations!). One of my plants is growing up our ground floor basement wall - the top of it is at the level of our porch. I was just walking by on the porch when I noticed that several blooms were showing off their coloring from ABOVE, so I took a picture - here it is. Buff colored, with outside petals marked with a lovely dark pink/brick color.

I can't believe that this rose is hardly in commerce! I have given several cuttings of it to Vintage Gardens over the years, and they did sell it, but only propagated to order, and of course now "sigh" that is no longer available.

I checked the US nurseries which HMF says have it. One said it was unavailable (and the picture that one displayed might have been the "all yellow, all of the time" imposter which got into commerce somehow in the UK and Europe). So, does anyone know of a nursery which carries the real rose?

I told a story on here of three rooted cuttings I had for 2 years, having completely forgotten who they were. One turned out to be Cl Crimson Glory, one was a white sport of Margo Koster, and as of a few days ago I still didn't know who the other one was, although it was obviously a tea rose. It is in a big pot now, but the deer have been disbudding it as soon as any new growth or tiny buds appeared (the deer must be following Kim's advice on how to make baby roses stronger). Anyway, one branch had grown under another bush (no doubt to get away from the deer), and yesterday I noticed it and pulled it out. Ha! Three identifiable buds - it is Anna Olivier!

So, if any of you out there are nurserypersons, or know any, who would like to have this plant so that AO can go back into commerce, please speak up! This plant is free to any nursery - should be in warm weather. If no nursery wants it, it is available to any rose growing person who is willing to drive to Marin County to pick it up.

Jackie

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH