SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Are your roses part of an ensemble cast or the stars of the show?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

In my garden, roses are a big player, but still part of an ensemble cast. Part of this is because I love the look of old shrub roses mixed in with other cottage garden flowers and shrubs...but it's also necessary to hide them a bit from the deer.

In the front garden, the deer aren't around as much, so I just put lots of lavender in front of the roses. The cosmos in the back give extra color, since the roses in that area are mostly damasks. I do have some hybrid musks in the front (right behind the lavender) but they're still pretty small.

{{gwi:105863}}

In the fairy garden, you can see how small the roses were a few months ago.

{{gwi:302878}}

Here is a picture from a few days ago, where you can see there are a lot of petunias, cosmos and other flowers mixed in with the roses.

{{gwi:44219}}

Here's a closer look at the actual flowers. You can see the butterfly bushes a little better, as well as the daisies and geraniums.

{{gwi:302881}}

Here's a close up of the fairy castle. One of my friend's little boys kept looking through the alyssum, trying to find the fairies :)

{{gwi:302885}}

And here is a little fairy, hiding behind the peonies and columbine.

{{gwi:302889}}

There's a short tour through some of my gardens. I love the roses, but I also think the other flowers and shrubs make an interesting mix.

How about your garden? I'd love to see some pictures :)

Comments (23)