SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

I Drank some Alfalfa Tea Today

celeste/NH
14 years ago

It was bound to happen eventually. I considered myself lucky all these years that until now the worst alfalfa tea incident was dripping some on myself as I carried or poured it. Well tonight I was hurrying to get it all dumped before nightfall and was running back and forth with my bucket of the potent brew like a mad woman. I have a bed of roses up on a retaining wall made of large boulders (which I don't HAVE to climb)... but on this one stupid occasion I chose to do just that to save time and get into that garden quicker than walking all the way around it. As I climbed up the rocks, I hoisted the heavy bucket of delight upward to try to put it on the top but my foot slipped and the entire contents splashed full-force into my face and open mouth. The gunky residue slid down my neck and down into my shirt, and ladies, I know you are all cringing, knowing where it all settled. I was a lovely green sight standing there, stunned and spitting it from my foaming mouth. I should mention that this garden is right by the road and a passerby witnessed the entertainment. (I hurt my leg as I slid down the wall but that was not a priority at that moment, nor as painful).

The question you're dying to know is, well....what does it TASTE like? Now, it IS TEA, mind you...and my name IS Celeste (celestialrose)...but it didn't taste like Celestial Seasonings Teas, not one bit. LOL

This was a particularly potent blend, because I had added some 'extras' like epsom salts and fish emulsion for extra flavor. The smell alone brought DH out of the house wondering if our septic field was acting up again (it has rained a lot here).

It was pretty darn disgusting, but as I spit the last bit of it out, I had a flashback. I had tasted this flavor before. Back when I was a teen growing up, my mom got this notion to live off the land and go organic. Now this is all good, but she went overboard. She had a blender which we kids feared. Into that blender she would throw a little bit of this and a little bit of that and called it a 'milkshake'. The problem was, there was no milk and no icecream. It consisted of whatever suited her fancy on that particular morning. Into the blender would go things like brewer's yeast, mushed up soybeans, fish oil, eggs, and other assorted and very thick and foamy

undisclosed healthy items that my brother and I never knew the identity of. We had to hold our noses to get it down and it made us burp and gave us some 'digestive' problems at school. I had tried through the many years since to forget the sensation and flavor of it, as well as the worse sensation of trying to keep it from coming back up.

Today took me back 35 years.

Now that I have showered and washed my mouth out with Scope, it wasn't really that horrible. I've had worse. LOL.

But even with all that soap and scrubbing, I still feel

like I have an 'aroma'and I doubt DH and I will be snuggling tonight.

By the way, I know some of you just lay alfalfa pellets down instead of dealing with the mess and the stench, but the tea method has worked so well for my roses I'll keep doing it. If any of you have 'sampled' the brew yourselves and care to leave a review, I'd love to hear

how you 'rated' it.

Celeste

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting