SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Rose for hot, dry, clay, unfriendly spot

melissa_thefarm
14 years ago

At times I'm tempted to think that the title of my thread describes much of our garden, but this particular spot is rather seriously hostile to roses, or anything else for that matter. A few varieties are successfully established in this area: 'Blanche de Belgique', 'New Dawn', R. foetida and varieties, 'William Lobb' and 'Gros Choux de Hollande' all look fairly respectable, live, grow, and flower year after year. There are others that are doing, not great, but well enough that I'm not willing to remove them. Gallicas hate it here. 'Clair Matin', one of those wimpy modern roses that need regular garden soil and occasional water, is on the verge of death, as is 'Constance Spry'; and surprisingly, the one Tea rose I tried in this bed, 'Mme. Berkely', flat refused to grow. I'm considering some candidates for holes in this bed, and would like people's opinions on them. They are R. hemosphaerica, 'Richardii' (R. sancta), 'Bourbon Queen', 'Ispahan', and 'Juno'. Other suggestions are welcome, but the roses have to be really tough, and adapted to these specific conditions. They're in full sun and wind and don't particularly enjoy it.

Thanks for your input!

Melissa

Comments (19)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH