SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Second Opinion needed (with pic)

You guys are just great for answering all my rose questions; true experts.

I need a second opinion on a rose disease. I wrote a post a year or so about it and was given some ideas as to what it could be. I read up on the possibilities and narrowed it down to Powdery or Downy Mildew (the former being more probable).

It started out with only one rose ('Carding Mill') that had it, but has now moved on to a few others. The roses bloom, but do lack some vigor. There are quite a few that don't have it, thank goodness.

The interesting thing about this case is that there is nothing wrong with the foliage. It is only the canes of the rose that are bothered. When it first started (a year or two ago) the rose had these strange, irregular green markings on the stems (canes) that looked almost like water marks. These soon turned a dark reddish-brown color. I kept watching thru the year and in late fall there was a greyish white fuzz where the marks were, which I am sure was the mildew 'blooming'. Most places online that talk about it never mention stem infection or show a pic.

I also took a cutting into the local county extenstion and the lady said that it looked like powdery mildew (though she did not say it with a lot of conviction). I asked her if it was a different strain of powdery mildew, and she said there is only one type.

I think what I really want to know is why it seems to infect just the stems and not the foliage? Is it because the stems are stay moist and the leaves don't?

And how can you tell the difference between Downy and Powdery mildew?

{{gwi:310988}}

I sprayed it with fungiside, but it burnt the leaves horribly. And I have been bleaching my pruners after I snip any rose to keep it from spreading.

Please tell me all you know about this problem. Please tell me if this is PM or not, what should be done about it, and how to control it.

Thank you so very much!

CMK

Comments (19)