SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hokey71

Need second opinion on Professional flooring installation

hokey71
10 years ago

I just had a new floor installed and I have some installation issues that I am having some difficulty getting fixed from the installer. I installed Laminate flooring a year ago and then we had some water damage and figured I'd have a pro replace it instead of me since insurance was paying. The flooring is the entire first floor and it's floating engineered hardwood over a concrete slab with vinyl in the kitchen. They did the entire job.

My first problem is there is a spot on the hardwood that goes from one end of the room to the other that feels to me like there is no padding under it. I was told my floor is uneven and there was nothing that could be done about it. I never noticed it with the laminate we had and it is perfectly on the seam where the boards meet and it appears it dips in a perfectly straight line from one end of the room to another and then is flat again. Like there is a groove in the concrete which seems very unlikely to me we never noticed it. I think they forgot a strip of padding. My thought is even if my floor was uneven they should have told me before they laid the floor.

There is also a spot where a piece of flooring has a defect in the clear coat. Both of these they want to cut out and glue in new pieces to fix the problem. I am worried about how that will be since they will cut the click portion off of the board and glue to the other pieces. Remember this is a floating floor. Will that work? I'm worried it will not sit right.

Also, the transition strip from the hardwood to the vinyl was put in in 2 pieces because they said they don't make pieces longer than 8 foot. Someone told me that is not true and they could have used one long piece which would have looked a lot better. It looks like crap...lol. It's about 12 feet across.

They also glued the transition strip right down to the concrete. Is that right? I thought there was a strip that gets glued down and then the transition connects to it?

Also the strip goes right up against the baseboard and the quarter round is in 2 pieces where is meets the strip because of the height difference and it looks like crap. What else could be done?

Then there is another spot where the floor has separated at a seam. Like the click lock did not lock and now there is a gap. It's in the middle of the floor and not sure how they are going to fix that.

They want to come out and fix some of these but I am wondering if a second opinion is in order but I don't want to waste a pros time having them look at my floor when they didn't get the job.

I'm about ready to call my credit card company and dispute the charges on it to get what i want fixed.

Comments (3)