SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

Greetings from the Garden in the Driveway

hartwood
15 years ago

From time to time, there have been references here to my having lots of potted roses in the driveway waiting to be planted. Never before, however, has the scale of this situation been completely laid out for all to see. This morning, for your viewing pleasure, and to satisfy your curiousity, I present 350+ roses in pots in the driveway:

{{gwi:272513}}

How did I end up with so many roses in the driveway, you ask? It’s part ‘weather-related bed preparation delay’, and part ‘moved and brought potted roses from the other house’, with a big dose of ‘I have little control over my urge to collect’. Sequoia’s closing this spring was one of the major culprits -- about 80 of these came from there . . . many of them are historic Ralph Moore originals, or Supplemental List roses that were available no where else. Vintage Gardens’ sales haven’t helped the situation. With their commitment to preserving and distributing found roses, and my own love of the same . . . there are about 50 of these roses in the driveway, and a few more in the garden. Since Vintage’s roses rotate on and off the currently-available list , we gotta get the rare ones on the list when we can -- don’t know when they’ll come around again. (Example: Walsh’s America) It helps when I can get them on sale . . . I have a list of 20+ unloved roses that I’m trying to whittle down.

350+ roses in pots in the driveway isn’t quite as overwhelming a situation as one would expect it to be. This location gets mostly morning sun, with the shade creeping across as the afternoon progresses. By dinner time, it’s completely shaded. This helps the pots not dry out as quickly, and keeps them from heating up and cooking the plants. It takes a little over an hour to make the rounds and give each pot a good drink, but I only have had to do that about every day and a half -- water one day in the morning, next day in the evening, skip a day if I can. We have also had regular rain this summer, which helps a lot. Besides, an hour at the end of the hose is good time spent recharging and communing with the little roses. Some of these are ones that I started from cuttings or seeds, so I can check their progress and tend to each one individually.

Part of my day yesterday was spent on final preparation in the soon-to-be rose field, spraying emerging weeds with Round-up. This area is the former vegetable garden, a quarter of an acre of great soil, and it’s all plowed and tilled and raked and ready to accept roses. Next week, I’ll plant grass in the rows, install the irrigation lines, and (hopefully) begin to put these roses in the ground. My goal is to have the driveway empty and again accepting vehicles by the first part of October. Wish me luck.

Connie

Comments (43)

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hopefully, you sold your car to buy the roses.

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Wow. Duly noted for future reference and present warning!!!

Thanks for showing us so unabashedly what could happen when we go unchecked.

Your husband must be a patient man, lol!

• Related Discussions

Greetings, here's my garden...

Q

Comments (1)
    It's a start,but those rocks next to the driveway are ankle breakers for anybody stepping out of a car, especially at night. Also the rocks used as a border between the grass and flower bed doesn't work to limit the spread of grass into the bed. Other methods are preferred by experienced gardeners if only for esthetics.
    ...See More

Holiday greetings from the Garden of Angels

Q

Comments (7)
    Merry Christmas. Mom died two years ago but I still put up a tree in her house. Others say I am stupid wasting money, but when I go there, by myself, smelling the balsam and seeing an icon I have viewed my entire life while listening to the old LP Christmas albums brings a brief bit of sadness but it is quickly replaced by a warm calm. When I was still in single digits for age I slept in the piano room one night, I remember waking one morning and the first thing I saw was the decorated Christmas tree. This year I slept on the sofa by the tree and again the first thing I saw in the moring was the decorated Christmas Tree. You may not see them with your eyes, but all the loving memories and loved ones are still there loving you. God speed and Merry Christmas.
    ...See More

Greetings Pa Gardeners

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Jeff, I'm a PA gardener also. I am so looking forward to Spring, when things start to come alive again. I'm in Chester County, PA near Lancaster Amish country; lots of farms near me. I have a couple of small areas that I am trying to get going with perennials- making rock gardens, because our propery is loaded with rocks. Wherever I dig - ROCKS!! Anyway, it will be interesting to share ideas, seeds, plants, whatever. Look forward to hearing more from you and other PA gardeners when Spring is here. Sue
    ...See More

From the driveway and front garden this morning

Q

Comments (5)
    peren.all - yeah, the mosquitoes are out in force and hungry here too! Yesterday I did a quick foray down near the 'wet corner' to whack off fading goatsbead flowers/developing seeds. I didn't put on my bug shirt - and was immediately under attack! I did a very rough job, and was out of there within a minute! There is still one more goatsbead to deadhead - DH will do it as the mosquitoes are less fond of his blood :-) I'm also useless in the heat so, while there is deadheading etc. needed in the front garden, it's going to have to wait until mid-week when it's supposed to be cooler again. ruth and rouge - the Niobe and regal lily combination is a 'happy accident'. The lilies were planted maybe 8-10 years ago. The cursed lily beetles do less damage to the regal lilies than to other lilies, in my experience (the regal lily foliage is very narrow and somewhat coarse-textured; I think the beetles may consider it a poorer food source for the larvae perhaps.) But the lilies gradually faded away (too dry/too heavy soil maybe....?). The Niobe (and Henryi) clematises that grows on the arbour wilted badly early last summer so I wasn't expecting much from them this year. I thought dryness might be an issue, so asked DH to water the base of the arbour whenever he was watering his veggie pots nearby. Bingo! Great looking Niobe this year, and the lily on the right ride of the arbour returned from the dead! :-) Thyme - I thought you'd like to see the heptacodium :-) I just checked my records - I planted it in 2002. I couldn't find a tree-form one so bought a small shrub one that only had 3 stems. I cut off the two smallest stems and let the other one become the tree trunk. It has certainly now surpassed the size I expected it to get - but we love it! (and so do the bees, butterflies and hummingbirds when it blooms!) The past two nasty winters didn't bother it a bit, so it's obviously very hardy. It doesn't have much in the way of fall color, and it gets too cold too early here to have the pink show from the calyxes make a show after the flowers finish in areas further south. But it's definitely worth growing! I can't imagine how much space it would be taking up though if I had left it as a shrub! Tree-form is certainly the way to go unless you have a huge space for it....
    ...See More
  • cincy_city_garden
    15 years ago

I love it! It's like your own personal nursery, but I don't have to water it either :)

Eric

• kittymoonbeam
    15 years ago

Maybe plant roses along the driveway? Looks great to me! Wish I had such a space to put that many plants.

• cemeteryrose
    15 years ago

Connie, you are a perfect example of why it's a good idea to have our roses listed in HMF. That way, if the rare Ralph Moore roses or other ones are not available, we'll know who has it (and can ask, politely, for cuttings)!

I need to show this to my DH, who thinks that my 30 rose pot ghetto is extreme. Of course, our property is very small, so it IS extreme! And my excuse is that a dozen of them are to be planted in the cemetery ... and another dozen are for the cemetery sale ... that leaves half a dozen that I have NO place for, even squeezed behind my garage!

I would love to see your garden in a few years. I would love to come help you plant.
    Anita

• paddlehikeva
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness Connie, I thought you gave up driveway gardening when you moved. That is very impressive. I need to come see you sometime. You make the 30 or so I have in my pot ghetto pale by comparison, thank you.

Kathy

• blackcatgirl
    15 years ago

:-)

I love it. Your house and gardens must be beautiful! This is a good use for a driveway.

Thank you for sharing. I feel much better about my pot collection of 5-6 rootings.

Outstanding!

• hartwood
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm glad this is so entertaining.

Harry, I still have my car (and an old Ford work truck). My credit card has had quite a workout, though.

Greenhaven, my husband is a saint. He tells me this all the time.

Eric, watering is rarely a chore. I love the chance to get out there and visit with all the babies. It doesn't hurt that I usually have a huge mug of coffee (for morning watering) or a tall, cold one (in the evenings) for refreshment. I try to keep the empties put in the recycling bin, but one or two can usually be found stuck amid the pots.

Kitty, thankfully, all these roses have homes awaiting them other places in the garden. The driveway really isn't a sunny enough spot for them to live permanently -- it just feels like they'll never leave. I do have a spot at one end where I'll be building a retaining wall and planting many of my miniatures.

Anita, I put my garden on HMF a few months ago as Hartwood Roses -- the link is on my GW page. It's a little out of date, but close enough for right now. When I update my database, I'll sync it with the HMF listing. I would be pleased to trade cuttings with you any time -- look at my list, and see if there's anything you'd like to add to your own collection. (I know you have things that I covet . . . but not right now. Gotta get these in the ground.) I'm in the process of making duplicate copies of whichever roses can give me a cutting or two, just in case anything happens to the original. I'd be happy to stick some cuttings for you -- just say the word.

Kathy, the area where the pots were last fall is now planted with noisettes, teas, and a few chinas and HPs. I decided to just give in and move them, and all the new ones, to the driveway. It's convenient to the tools in the garage and to the outside faucet. You are welcome to come visit any time. (that goes for the rest of you, too.) If nothing else, we have the Garden Social here in October.

Here are a few more photos, taken from ground level this time:

This is what it looks like when I open the garage door:
    {{gwi:272512}}

Most things are divided by class, or by where I got them. These are the ones I bought at Sherando before he closed. The white pot is a Rosa virginiana sucker given to me by a dear friend.
    {{gwi:299501}}

Here are the hybrid perpetuals.
    {{gwi:299502}}

The rose field is in the upper right corner of this photo. Look beyond the two fences, past the mulch pile, to the area of bare-looking dirt. The roses in this photo are mostly climbers.
    {{gwi:299504}}

Space is not an issue here. I expect the rose field to easily take 300 roses -- arranged in 20 rows, 65' long, with a central aisle with climbers on arches. I can see it so clearly . . . now to get out there and make it look like the picture in my head.

Connie

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Wow again...you have a lot of work cut out for you! I love to help people fulfill their visions. If you were closer i would volunteer my services.

(Your husband tells you he's a saint all the time? bwahahahaha!)

• cincy_city_garden
    15 years ago

Wow, the rose field will be beautiful. I love the all fences and trees. You're going to have a mini rosarium! Maybe Roseraie de l'Hartwood? :)

Please take lots of pictures to document, it will fun to see your vision coming to life.

Eric

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Goodness gracious! This is better than a dispensation from sin -- my worst sin being acquiring
    roses when most people would say that I have quite enough roses.

I can see that you have many more potted roses than I do, so I feel quite cleansed of
    this particular sin of Acquisition.

Everyone -- we must send Connie MORE roses, so that she can always make us feel guilt-free.

Jeri

• hartwood
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeri, I LOVE the way you think!! Of course, I will be more than happy to help anyone who needs a bit of cleansing. If you're having a pang or two yourself, how about those 'not yet in commerce' foundlings that you're so fond of taunting us with.

Roseraie de l'Hartwood? I love it!

Whenever I'm in the garden, or anywhere else for that matter, my cell phone is in one pocket, and my digital camera is in another. I have documented the restoration of our house and the reclamation of the landscape with thousands of photos. I hope to put some photo essays on my web site one day . . . soon, she says optimistically.

Connie

• mexicanhat
    15 years ago

Alright, this is a new level of Rosemania and OCD and hoarding all rolled into one.

All that is truly clear to me is that I have a *splitting* case of driveway envy. :-)

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

There's no such thing as too many roses, just gardens with not enough land. You go, girl.

• jerijen
    15 years ago

how about those 'not yet in commerce' foundlings that you're so fond of taunting us with.

*** Hmmmmm . . . We must talk. :-)

Jeri

• patriciae_gw
    15 years ago

What a wonderful service you have provided us all-we can drag our SO's over to the screen and say with triumph-THERE SEE? it is not bad at all here...thank you thank you

patricia

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

I'm truely amazed Connie. Wish I lived near you to see all of the changes. I have NO willpower when it comes to plants. I love all kinds. It started with hosta, then lilies, then phlox and now roses. I have a bunch of other kinds of plants but thanks to GW I am hooked on roses. I am going now to check out your other pics on your GW page. Please, please post a bunch of pics. You are my hero!!!!!!!! LOL! My sister in law and I go flower shopping off and on but SHE has a concious. Not me baby! Espcecially when i'm by myself. Rarely is there a spot left in my vehicle. Good thing my husband takes his truck to work everyday. Thanks for posting all your jewels. Judy

• roses_more_roses
    15 years ago

Connie you have such a beautiful setting for your roses, I love the mature trees by your driveway. The roses will be amazing in your garden. I don't think 350+ is many since you have acreage, it is all relative, you will still have lots of space left to plant more! I think the same way, you have to get the unusual or hard to find roses when you can. It would be different if you didn't have a plan.
    Diana

• cactusjoe1
    15 years ago

Shalll we conclude that you are an avid collector of roses?

Thanks for making me feel better, and less guilty. My 100+ containers of roses and other sundry plants isn't so bad after all.

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

Connie,

You are just starting out. You will have over 1000 different varieties before you know it. I'm probably up to 600 if I include my seedlings and the roses from the July 2008 Rose Rustling Expedition...

You know that I'm only a phone call away.

BTW. I'm not sure I understand how to list roses on HMF. Is this something I should consider doing?

Robert...from Roseraie d'Aylett

• hartwood
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mexicanhat, that's funny. Do we have a new syndrome brewing here?

Duchesse, may I quote you? Thanks for the encouragement.

Jeri, I will be in touch. I have some roses to plant first, LOL. One day we will meet in person -- I'm determined.

patriciae, I am pleased to act as whatever bad example you wish me to be, especially if it helps with your own collections. It's always good to get a bit of perspective from time to time. The 20-or-30 rose pot ghetto seems pretty minor now, doesn't it.

prettypetals, I have been a shade gardener for a long, long time. (hostas from PDN, what a rush!) When we bought this place in 2002, I could see the potential to make it a garden wonderland . . . and I'm doing all I can to see that dream come true. I just had to spend the first few years getting the house into liveable condition. It's great when like-minded people visit, because many of them can see my dream too -- I love to share.

roses, 350+ is just the driveway, and it's a conservative estimate. I wasn't counting the 40+ in the front border, or 30-or-so on the rambler fence, or the new HT bed in the front yard with 76 in it. With my new Vintage order (yes, I caved) I'm up to just over 550 roses in the collection.

cactus_joe. See, it's all relative. 100 pots sounds like a lot, until you're encounter 350. I'm a collector, and a history freak -- so old, or found, or rare roses are a perfect fit for me. For example, I have most of the roses bred by Walter Van Fleet that are available in this country -- some people have a favorite designer, he's my very favorite hybridizer. His story, and the motivation behind his breeding program, is really interesting.

Robert, dear Robert, my partner in crime . . . you will be receiving that phone call. Yes, your garden should be listed on HMF. I'll help you, if you'd like. It's easy.

I'm afraid that my husband may have a little bit different view of my driveway roses after this weekend -- I'm going away for a couple of days, and he's volunteered to water for me. I'll see you all when I get back.

Connie

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Connie, I do hope that all of the people who were ribbing me about the size of my pot ghetto saw this post :-). That is impressive. Your property is beautiful and I look forward to seeing the new garden when all of the roses are planted!

Carol

• mexicanhat
    15 years ago

"mexicanhat, that's funny. Do we have a new syndrome brewing here?"

It's funny that you should mention it. I tried to think of a funny new acronym for an OC rose collecting disease and just couldn't quite get it.

I'm just *insanely* jealous that you can overwinter your roses outside.

Have to ask - where do you park your cars????

• remontant
    15 years ago

Connie, I have to say this photo has absolutely made my day! Many congrats for collecting such a fine group in so little time. And while you're waiting for your rose field to be ready, continue to enjoy your driveway as it is now--remember, soon you won't be able to go down the rows of roses after a rain without getting muddy feet!

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

Wonderful. It would kill me if I had that many :)(this is not me but my envy is speaking).
    You are the queen of driveway gardening.
    Olga

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

Connie, you have without a doubt the prettiest driveway I've ever seen.

BTW, there is a place near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania called Hartwood Acres. You could easily take over that name for your rose garden, I think!

Rosefolly

• sunnishine
    15 years ago

Wow Connie! Looks like you need to have a planting party! I will be there :)

I definitely plan on coming in October too!

• hartwood
    Original Author
    15 years ago

carol, I try to avoid calling all of this a pot ghetto. If I did, I'd have to have separate neighborhoods in it -- Chinatown, etc.

mexicanhat, this is the south side of my, along the driveway that splits off and goes to our drive-under garage (which I don't park in). We have a large circular driveway that takes most of the parking, and a detached garage. You can see part of the drive and parking area to this garage in the last photo above.

remontant, good point about the mud. I'm planting grass in the paths (at my husband's request), so I hope to avoid mud on all but the wettest of days.

olga, your garden is fabulous, and I brag on you whenever I get a chance. I have used the example of some of your roses to help me gauge the ultimate size of some of mine that I am unfamiliar with. I swoon when I think of your Lady Hillingdon.

rosefolly, I've never heard of Hartwood Acres. Our place has been known as Hartwood Manor since the 1950's -- before that it was either 'The Old Foote Place' or 'The Old Brick House'. When we put it on the National Register, we kept Hartwood Manor since it's the name that most of area is familiar with -- though my husband originally thought it sounded like a retirement home.

sunni, come on down. I will be glad to see you again in October. I will get the invitations out soon.

It's great to be back home. My husband and daughter kept everything well watered while I was away. I'll head out there in a little bit with my second cup of coffee to see how everyone made out in my absence.

This will be a big week -- planting should commence on Wednesday! Until then, I will spend quite a bit of time fine-tuning my planting plan and laying irrigation pipe. Watering 350+ roses when they're stacked 3 and 4 deep in the driveway is pretty easy. . . dragging the hose up and down 20 rows, trying not to squash the smaller roses, is something completely different.

I'll take pictures.

Connie

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I long ago learned to keep my countenance when it comes to rose ghettos but suffice it to say, "a lotta roses."

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Oh my ---this is so WONDERFUL. I remember the pictures of your house and now can't wait to see your "rose heaven" in a couple of years.
    You are doing everything I would love to do if only I were a lot younger.

I love your driveway ---It looks like my son's perennial farm---LOL----

Keep up the good work--

I'm green with envy and full of admiration.

Florence

• carla17
    15 years ago

Connie, I guess one could say that's not too many, considering your love for them. I gotta hand it to you, oh brave one. Thanks for the update.

Carla

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

I'm really curious what size of pots you use. It looks like a lot of regular nursery pots. What are the max/min sizes? What kind of soil do you put in them (potting soil is expensive)? Do you have a spray program? If so, what? How long can you carry over roses in pots like that?

I'm thinking it terms that my space is now so limited, and I so wish to experiement with more varieties although overwintering in my zone would be a problem, don't want to go into the possible options for that now.

• hartwood
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, All.

patricia, zeffy, and carla: Thanks for the kind thoughts. It's both exciting and terrifying to be gardening on this kind of scale.

aliska, at least half of the roses (probably more) are in 1 gallon pots. They were bands that arrived in early spring, and I'm fortunate that they are just now beginning to outgrow their accommodations. Others are in 2,3,or 5 gallon pots, if they've been living in them for longer than just this year. A few of the HTs and larger OGRs have been pot-dwellers for at least 4 years -- these guys are in really big pots. I'm not looking forward to digging that size hole to get them planted, I can assure you.

I mix my own potting soil: 1 bag of Scotts Garden Soil, mixed with an equal amount of spagnum and a good dose of perlite will fill the wheelbarrow and pot quite a few roses. It's much cheaper than buying potting soil already made up.

I spray fungicide to keep blackspot and the related nasties under control, but I don't spray insecticides. I alternate Bayer Advanced Disease Control and Banner Max at two week intervals. This is enough to keep all but the worst fungus magnets fairly clean. The way I figure it, these guys are stressed enough living in pots, I don't want them to have to sacrifice their energy regrowing leaves.

The oldest pot roses I have now are some HTs (Memorial Day, Stephen's Big Purple, Gentle Giant, etc.) and some older roses (Louise Odier, La Reine, Sydonie, Charles de Mills, Sally Holmes, Glendora, Celestial . . .) Others came in the last two years, but the bulk of them arrived this spring, either by orders or my winter propagation in the basement. This driveway thing was never intended to be a permanent situation. My poor roses got caught in a combination of a collecting frenzy and a moving delay. I've always known that they will be much happier in the ground, and the ones that I planted in the front HT bed a few weeks ago are proving this to be true. They're growing like crazy, and blooming their heads off. Anyone who comes to the social in October will be able to see it for themselves.

Robert is coming tomorrow to help me plant, and we're going to see how many of these little beauties we can get into the ground. (What's the world's record for rose planting, I wonder) I've been fine-tuning my planting plan for the past couple of days -- though I'm sure we'll probably rearrange most of what I've done. Photos, of course, will be forthcoming. The weather looks like it will be super.

Connie

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

Connie, excellent post. Thank you!

• paddlehikeva
    15 years ago

Connie, now I am not only jealous of your driveway garden, but you and Robert playing in the dirt enjoying each other's company and the great weather while I attend a boring training class tomorrow. Have fun! I still need to bring you the Arethusa I rooted from cuttings I took on our trip to Robert's last year. Are you ready for another pot to add to your collection?

Kathy...from Roseraie d'Rixeyville

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

Well,

We certainly made a dent into Connie's rose collection on the driveway. I have to admit, I am tired. We had a great time.

Let me know when you're ready to do some more.

Robert

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Robert and Connie----two lucky people to have the support of each other. sharing makes gardening a lot more fun.

congratulations.

Florence

• hartwood
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beautifully said, Florence. Robert and I have had many conversations about just this subject. Sharing isn't just the best part of gardening, it's a most essential element to friendship. This is the reason that I share whatever I can from my garden -- whether it's cuttings, or rooted roses, or a rose I've decided to discard . . . sharing something that brings us joy (roses, in this case) spreads that feeling to others.

Even though I could barely function when we were finished, I will always remember this particular planting day with a smile. (I'll dig the photos out of my camera and start another thread about this in a day or two. I don't think I have time to do it this morning. I'm off to share the joy by helping a friend put a new ceiling in her front porch.)

Connie

• vics_gardenkeeper
    15 years ago

That looks like so much fun. I can't wait to see pictures of the rose field. And good for you for keeping them all straight. Even when I plant with labels, six months later they're gone and I'm trying to remember who's blooming.

• markiz37
    15 years ago

You are amazing! I have only 70 pots. I adore you.
    Lana

• jbcarr
    15 years ago

Strong work. I have been getting my pots in the ground this year. After having languished 2 years or so, its amazing seeing how much better they do in the ground. I just used my native soil, and raised the pH a bit with lime.

• rosemeadow_gardener
    15 years ago

What a beautiful driveway ! It was a clever idea putting the pots in the shady driveway. How lovely they will look in their new garden as they already look big, healthy and very pretty.

• kittymoonbeam
    15 years ago

How's it going so far? Are you making progress the way you hoped to?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz