SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

From the driveway and front garden this morning

The garden has been liking the cool, sunny weather we've been having. Colors seem to be richer than usual. Pink Beauty potentillas are usually starting to fade to a pale pink by now but they have stayed a nice saturated color so far - like this one in the south driveway border across from the end of the front porch (although the color is faded in the picture!):

This bed is also used for growing hers and tomatoes - the stake is for a cherry tomato and you can see alpine strawberries and a leek going to seed!

This is also the bed where DH has bird feeders etc. It is where I'm thinking I could fit one of those clematis 'tree' structures... (the guy has not got back to me re the price of them.... I need to call next week I think.) I could see fitting it in here to replace the thing holding the hummingbird feeder and stick that serves as a bird perch:

To the left of the white seed-grown Angel roses that are just fading now are some pretty pink, nicely scented, double ones that I particularly like:

(You can see that the pots of peas are just finishing producing - we did a fairly big harvest yesterday....)

This view shows the whole bed as seen from the neighbour's driveway. The red daylilies are just starting to bloom - the left end of the bed will have rust reds and oranges show up in the next few weeks:

Across the driveway, on the north side, we are happy to see that the Chinese wisteria 'tree' is now putting out a few summer flowers. Hopefully that means it's starting to rebuild flowering wood that was lost in the past two nasty winters! There are now both Henryi clematis flowers sprinkled through the 'tree' as well as a few wisteria racemes (which are smaller, a somewhat different color, and far less profuse than the spring bloom - they also don't show up well against the foliage!)

I like how the hosta by the edge of the driveway is doing - I'm going to plant a matching one on the south side next spring I think. The tree in the background is the Heptacodium which blooms in September. It's now a rather substantial-sized tree!

Niobe clematis on the iron arbour is making a pretty combination with a regal lily. I need to replant the regal lily that died out on the other side of the arbour....

The White Moth hydrangeas along the garage are strutting their stuff now - I always need to keep these pruned so they don't block the path between the garage and the back of the front bed!

The backyard is getting severely overgrown as the plants (and weeds - and mosquitoes!) have been going nuts with the cool weather and the rain from a week ago. I need to grit my teeth, put on a full bug suit, and go whack a bunch of stuff down out there!

Comments (5)