SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_w_ny

Losing sleep over roses

jim_w_ny
16 years ago

My eyes popped open at 4. First I thought about politics but that proved endlessly hopeless so soon I began to lament and over analyze my roses. Why is that some do fine while others easily grown well by others in my zone die or don't prosper?

I began with roses like Explorers and OGR's then later Austins and a few Moderns particularly HT's that I had grown in S. CA. Most of these are gone. Then I discoverd Kordes roses that have been more successful. But some well perhaps many of those also proved to be wimpy.

So I began again to run down the list as to what has done well and what has not.

Baltimore Belle planted in native soil is very vigorous growing new 10' canes. About 15' away is a 3 year old New Dawn. It looks terrible, nearly leaf less and no new growth. Across the way is a Dr. W. van Fleet sold to me as a ND. It is quite healthy, vigorous and showing no BS. In another bed I have a 9 year old William Baffin recently heavily pruned and regrowing nicely. According to QR it is nearly a continuous rebloomer. It has never rebloomed so what appears to be a vigorous rose many not be. Planted next to WB are a number of smaller roses that are lingering. Only Red Ribbons is blooming all the time.

In my main bed several OGR's are healthy and vigorous. Of the Moderns, Eutin, Roselina, Fritz Nobis, Rugosa Alba (a suckering monster), Knirps (a not very well known ground cover) and several other Kordes. I planted about 10 new ones there this spring. Several bloomed already. Enfant de France is on it's second flush, Bernstein Rose once so far, Fontaine same and Pink Robusta currently in bloom. Among the Kordes not doing well are Lavender Lassie, Nymphenburg is gone, Orange Triumph one is dead the other struggling as it Lichtkonigin Lucia. Sparrieshoop never even grew after planting last year. Same for Queen Mother.

Then I have as someone on this site coined the "death bed" I have a long list of dead or dying roses. All supposedly climbers. Only Leverkusen is doing well. And a climbing Crimson Glory which has finally shown signs of life.

In my large arbor for "climbers" only Veilchenblau, Rosarium U., the Doctor and Ilse Krohn S. are good. Westerland is a pathetic thing as is Dortmund and several others.

Then I have a very closely planted bed of old rugosas that has become an impenetrable thicket. Needless to say they are all super vigorous and bloom a lot.

My final bed are 6 Elmshorn's, 4 Elveshorns and a center Morgengruss. They where last year all great but this year they have been less so. I think because prior to Spring they were flooded by the outflow of my sump pump. I did't notice it until some of the canes started turning black and moved the hose.

Oh yes planted next to the sunny side of the house a number of roses. First the HT bed in which various HT's were planted. All now dead. This is getting long and probably boring. Needless to say only Antique '89 is doing well. A 4 year old American Pillar which anybody should be able to grow is looking like my ND.

Can anybody glean any pattern to all of this? I can't and may give up on roses. I've sent one soil sample from my main bed and will follow up with samples from the arbor, my death bed and depending on what these show maybe more.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (18)