SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wkate640

Losing sleep over decorating decision

wkate640
10 years ago

DH and I are furnishing an open concept home. The TV viewing area is at one end. Dining area in middle. Sunroom (separated by half wall) on other end. Each area is about 16' square with about a 4' "traffic" lane from one end of the house to the other. Sofa in tv area will be dark green leather with two light camel-colored fabric chairs. Tables are glass and black iron. Hardwood (light red oak) floors throughout. Lots of windows throughout. Dining room table is glass, chairs are black slatted wood with fabric seats. Rugs in these two areas are coordinating orientals with light cream background, quite a bit of varied shades of green, some black, gold, terra-cotta, brown, and a very tiny bit of dark red here and there. All the colors in the rug are muted. So far I like everything. I would post pix but nothing but the area rugs has arrived yet. Then DH and I went shopping together for the sunroom and wound up ordering two floral chairs and a red (!) fabric sofa. He has a pretty good eye for color and so do I but this is pretty wild for my taste. The red tends toward the orange side of the color wheel but could not be described as coral. He loves the idea and I'm kind of burned out thinking about the entire house so I agreed just to get it done. Now I'm afraid the red is going to stand out like a sore thumb, although this room, because of the half walls, is just a tad separated from the other two areas, and we want the feel of the room to be sun-roomish. I'm thinking that I need to bring some of the red over to the green sofa area in the form of accessories, but I am in the "less is better" group when it comes to accessories. There is already green in the floral chairs, so the green flows throughout, but this sofa is the brightest and only red item in the entire house. I envision a sisal-type area rug in the sunroom (maybe with a border that incorporates several colors already in the other areas) with wicker tables. I don't want the whole house to be muted colors but I keep thinking we made a very expensive mistake and will have no flow. Am I on the right track as far as putting something red on the green sofa side? There is a coordinating striped fabric with some green and gold in it that I could order and make pillows but this fabric is much brighter than the rug). I am truly losing sleep and need opinions/help.

Comments (8)