SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjpickart

911- Moving perennials this winter

sjpickart
11 years ago

Hello to all experienced Gardeners,

I need some major advice on how to move my entire garden.

I'm about to dig up everything to store it until I find a new place to live. I rent alone right now and spent a ton of time and money on my garden. My boyfriend and I recently decided to look for a house to move into together. I'm excited yet dreading this due to the risk I will lose so many of my precious plants that I have coddled and raised over the years. I don't want to chance leaving them in the ground through winter til spring in case we find a place we like during winter. I live in Wisconsin zone 4 so everything freezes by November until about May.

SO: I need your best words of wisdom on how to store the following:

Bulbs: Gladiolus, Tons of varieties of Lilys, Tulips, Hyacinths, Daffodils, African Corn Lilies, Anemones, Dahlias, Iris, Freesia, Caladium, Calla Lily, Peruvian Daffodils, Twinkle Toes.

Other: Herbs like Mint, Day-Lilys, Canna Lilys, Hybiscus, Bleeding Hearts, Columbines, Fox Gloves and Cantebury Bells-(scheduled to bloom next year), Daisies, Black-eyed Susans, Blanket Flowers, Other Butterfly Flowers, Mums, Lupines, Poppys, Salvia, Candle Flowers, Crocosmia....

Sadly there are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head. I'm most concerned about the plants "OTHER THAN BULBS." I really don't want to miss a year of blooming, so any advice on how to best store them without losing any plants or blooms is SOOOOO very much appreciated!!!!!! THANK YOU ALL!!!

Comments (9)