SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Climbing rose / trellis over garage doors

mrspete
10 years ago

We've all seen the lovely pictures: gorgeous roses, bunches of them growing over a trellis atop a wide garage door (or small porch). I would love to create this look in the house we're building -- I think it'd be lovely to come home and be greeted by such a beautiful rose every day. Incidentally, the front of our house will face North, probably not ideal for this climbing rose, but I can't change that.

I have several questions:

- I am only an average gardener. I have had luck with basic roses, but what I'm considering looks a bit complicated. Is this something an average gardener can expect to pull off? I'm thinking that it'd be important to care for this rose well in the first years, when it's being trained up the trellis -- true? How does one dead head the spent blossoms if they're over the top of the garage door?

- I am very willing to build a good trellis for this project. I was thinking this would require two rose bushes -- one on each side of the garage. So I need some sort of "climb up" for the edge, then a support across the top. Any hints on how to do this well? I'm thinking metal for longevity?

- I love reds and pinks best. Yellows too. Any hints on the varieties that'd prosper we'll in this project?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012