SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acer_gw

Why do some people "hate" maples?

acer
11 years ago

Yes, my username is acer, but don't let that soften your answers. Be honest.

I've been surprised to hear folks say they hate these trees. It's been on this forum, and lately someone I was talking to said it after telling me about the various exotics (including Chinese pistache) that he had planted in his yard.

I don't understand. With the exception of Norway maple, they're native. Growth is good, and fall color is usually excellent (except for Silvers).

Here's the only reasons I can think of, followed by MY reasons that it's an acceptable tradeoff:

-(The roots are shallow and prevent the planting of anything underneath): So. A tree looks bigger, and cleaner, when its trunk is exposed. I've seen plenty of maples with grass growing right up to the trunk.

-(Silver maples are weak-wooded): Sure they are. Don't plant one near your house, or just stick with reds and sugars.

-(They're messy with all those samaras (seeds) and leaves): Can't refute that one, except that I find it an acceptable tradeoff. Those helicopter seeds are lots of fun for the kids.

The only other reason I can think of is that they're so commonly planted and people want something more unique. Maybe other people want something to provide food for wildlife, and other people have been turned off by the butchered stumps left over when they've been "trimmed". (Now that's another subject altogether, please don't turn your trees into broccoli stalks.)

So enlighten me. This isn't a challenge or even a defense, just me wondering if I missed something important. I'm always looking at different kinds of trees and where I can plant them.

Comments (28)