SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Mo

sherryocala
13 years ago

I also used to utilize the drool-evoking method, but I have evolved into more scientific decision making. I have three possible spots for new roses. You know I love big fat flowers such as Maman Cochet, Anna Olivier & LeVesuve that keep most of their size in the heat and hopefully most of their original color. I have spots for a medium large, a medium and a climber.

Rose Petals Nursery has several to pick from but I want to choose perfectly :)) I really can't handle an extra large like Mrs B R Cant, but I know that some get only slightly smaller which would probably still be too big. The medium spot is at my front walk, and I would prefer something not too tall that you could see over easily - maybe 4'-4.5'. So I'm looking for a tall one and a short one no more than 6' wide (with high petal count, remember). Here's the list:

Alexander Hill Gray

Bon Silene

Marie Van Houtte

Baronne Henriette de Snoy

Mme Lombard

Georgetown Tea

William R Smith

Reubens

Mme Scipion Cochet

Rival de Paestum

Souv de Victor Hugo

Mme Charles

Devoniensis

Safrano

Mme de Sombreuil

Beaute Inconstante

Alliance Franco-Russe

The climber spot is between the garage and the front walk on a 4' wide x 8' tall trellis that I could add brackets to for more to grow on at the top. I don't want anything with stiff canes. I'm having trouble training the one I have (MCT) that's like that. Wichurana hybrids with a tea or noisette parent will probably rebloom here and are flexible and healthy (I have Francois Juranville) but may be too vigorous for the spot unless I run a chain swag across the garage which is doable. Of course, noisettes are possibilities, but I have Lamarque and Crepuscule, and neither are doing great. Hybrid Musks are not fond of my soil, and this is an south-facing, all-day sun spot, so I don't think a Buff Beauty would be happy. If there is such a thing as a tall, thin bush, that would be great. My 2-year-old Aloha looks like that - about 5' tall and 2' wide, freestanding. Don't know what it will wind up being.

Anyway, your wisdom and experience will be greatly appreciated.

Sherry

Comments (23)