SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nixer26_gw

tree lined driveway

13 years ago

I've read posts about tree-lined driveways but I didn't see one that 100% answers my questions, and hence I post. I just bought a 100 acre property and the house will likely go up about 2000ft from the road through a field about 300 ft wide, . I live in Canada about 200 miles north of Detroit on Lake Huron and the winters can be somewhat harsh. I won't build the house for at least 3-5 years so until then I'd like to start planting trees and I have a blank canvas to work with. The field to the house is about 25 acres and the rest is bush around the edges (native species are mostly maple, ash, ironwood, cherry, poplar, cedar, etc).....and I'm not very knowledgeable in trees so I can't give you the specifics on what type of each. I've always wanted a tree lined driveway, but I've read about the allee (although still not sure exactly what it is) and was hoping there is someone who can advise on species that are hearty to this area. The driveway will be gravel so I'm not as worried about it getting ruined. I love the red maples that are deep red all year but it sounds like they don't grow as big, and I've always loved the canopy look. I'm just looking for ideas, advice and even find pictures of long driveways to get a feel for what is possible. I'm hoping this will be an estate of sorts and would like trees that last (Oak?) even beyond my years. I currently live on 12 acres of bush with the same type of native species I mentioned, so perhaps I can save some money by digging up saplings around here. The ground is mostly clay below the topsoil. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (8)