SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fogrose

Let's see photos of your volunteer roses or roses from seeds

fogrose
10 years ago

In the light shadow of Vintage closing, there may be a bright side. People may be encouraged to grow roses from seeds of antique roses that produce hips or be more likely to preserve volunteer roses that appear.

catspa just posted "Ann, I just fished out and potted up a tiny seedling out from under 'Nastarana' yesterday. Looks like he's taking after the R. moschata side of the family (single white flower). So, there you go -- it's certainly "one-of-a-kind"! :-)" so I hope she'll post photos.

anntn6b posted "...I may just have to start collecting all the hips on my teas and chinas and noisettes and growing the seeds out."

Are any of you growing any roses from seeds or have any volunteers in your garden? (I know Mendocino Rose does). Would love to see photos and guesses as to who the parents are if possible.

Here is a volunteer from my garden that unfortunately did not survive. I called it "Jo's Rose." I think it was a child of Trier.

{{gwi:284426}}

Diane

Comments (52)

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

Funny, hoovb, that the Souvenir de Pierre Notting seedlings would be so PM-prone when the parent plant is so resistant (here, anyway).

Diane, the petals (single bloom, white) fell off even as I was potting it up yesterday, but here's that Nastarana seedling, all 1.5" tall of it. But, you can see it's got some pretty fancy sepals, at least.

{{gwi:293797}}

And, here's a bloom photo of the Buff Beauty seedling I posted about last year. The plant is progressing well this year and so far is a lot like Buff Beauty, but smaller all around.

{{gwi:293798}}

This post was edited by catspa on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 15:57

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

For about ten years I've grown a seedling (now full fledged plant) from one of my noisette beds. It finally bloomed in its third year (when I asked Doug Seidel about this, he said that was typical of noisettes). It's not that different from other white noisettes, except it's never been grafted and it does survive in a zone 6 garden of a friend of mine.

I'll try to get a pix of the next one: it came up in a bed that had never had roses. Several volunteers came up in that bed: one a once blooming white octopus that almost ate two huge shrubs and that had a lot of wichurana showing in its leaves-it's now gone. Same bed had a plain old multiflora seedling that I dug out after I saw the bland bloom (and the multiflora-like tendency of new cane growth.) Surprise, surprise. I just guess that that multiflora seed got 'deposited' with another multiflora seed, because the next spring, another rose arose (heh, heh) from where the first had been taken out. Except (tah dah) it bloomed double pink. (A duh? moment if ever I had one.) So I let it be, and it repeated. It even repeated in the heat of summer, and late summer and twice more in fall.
    Last year, its third, the late summer bloom sprays lasted two weeks EACH in cooler days.

Right now, the heat here is 90s. That rose is blooming. Will try to get a representative photo of a spray.

• Related Discussions

My Rose 'Babies' from seeds experiment.....photos......long

Q

Comments (26)
    THANK YOU ALL for your wonderful responses to my post! I always enjoy sharing my experiences and photos with you all and getting your feedback. It sures helps with the winter blues to chat about roses and you are all treasured friends. For those who wanted to know how I went about the seed-starting operation, I kept it pretty simple, and anyone can do it. After collecting the ripe hips in the fall I immediately dug the seeds out of the hips, making sure to get all the pulp off the seeds and clean them well. I soaked them for a day or two in water with a little bit of hydrogen peroxide in it then put them between moist paper towels which I then placed in plastic ziploc bags. They stayed in the refrigerator for 3 months. I did not have any sprout during that time so I simply sowed them in peat pots using packaged sterilized seed starting mix. As for the flourescent lights I used regular shoplights suspended about 3 inches from the pots. I kept the lights on for about 16 hours per day/ off for 8 hrs. I had some germinations in as soon as 1 week after sowing which surprised me, but most seeds took about 2-4 weeks to germinate. As the seedlings grew I just kept adjusting the height of the lights, but made sure they were only inches away from the seedlings. I wasn't sure how well the seedlings would do just using regular flourescent lights but they didn't seem to mind that I didn't splurge on the more expensive grow-lights. Because the set-up was in my basement, the temperature was fairly cool but not cold. So that's basically it, nothing fancy or too scientific, just a lot of hovering over the pots and hoping and wishing. Thank you Patrick & Jim for the suggestion and encouragement to join the RHA. I did pop over there as a lurker during my seed-growing upon occasion but haven't in a while since I no longer have my setup going. Someday I hope to get back into it because I truly enjoyed it. For now, my mom who has Alzheimer's is living with us so that I can care for her and my grown daughter moved back in, and I lost all available space. It's a hobby I know I will get back into when space allows. Once again, many thanks for all of your words of encouragement. Celeste
    ...See More

I like to see your rose garden with pets.

Q

Comments (56)
    I love seeing all of these adorable babies! I wish that my digital camera was working. My kitty Chester could be a twin of Kate's Bligh and he's 20lbs too. The garden is his favorite place to hang out. I am working on getting him used to dogs, but so far he chases every dog except the old yellow lab next door, and they are great friends, so I know it's possible. I didn't believe that he chased dogs until I saw it myself! Diana
    ...See More

Lets See photos of your favorite climbers!!!

Q

Comments (15)
    Oh! Very Pretty! Jess and that Blaze is Just Amazing! I'll take it have (GC) and I'll take one each of Lady of the Mist and the Impressionist, Fourth of July,Polka ,Rhonda,Soaring Spirits I'd like to see more of PARURE D'OR and just planted 2 berries and cream just love them and I love shadow dancer have it.Also like that mini climber gloriana 97 , I like this post!!!!! more pics people please! close ups of candyland climber and oranges and whites anyone have paradise cl.pics oh yea! I just moved i finally have room for roses who hoo.. had my 100 roses in a very small area.
    ...See More

newspaper article-how to grow roses from seed

Q

Comments (1)
    Henry, That is a great article. Thanks for posting it! I'm going to try it, too. I've pulled seeds from my Don Juan, Cl. to try. Thanks! Xtal
    ...See More
  • fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

catspa, looking forward to seeing the bloom of the white single. I love the child of Buff Beauty too.

anntn6b, really want to see the double pink.

Anyone naming their babies?

Diane

• mashamcl
    10 years ago

Purple Pavement gives me quite a few seedlings, most of which are discarded. I kept one out of curiosity. It didn't bloom at all the first year, and I was going to throw it out too, but an accident prevented me. There used to be a big bush of rosemary in a blind corner of my yard that somebody dug out and took away one night. So I replaced it with that seedling, which, being well-endowed with prickles, is quite a bit more difficult to handle. It bloomed in its second year, and has been quite floriferous. It suckers just as aggressively, and is, in fact, the same as PP in all respects other than the color of blooms and hips.

Seedling blooms...

{{gwi:293799}}

...and hips.

{{gwi:293800}}

For comparison, Purple Pavement blooms...

{{gwi:293801}}

...and hips.

{{gwi:293802}}

Masha

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice, Masha. The hips are great.

Diane

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Many volunteers come up in my garden. I've also planted seeds from various roses. Some of them are really beautiful. Some have been in commerce and can be found on HMF like Dear David and Flagrant. I'll just post one today. This is Miss Maisie named for my granddaughter.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Miss Maisie is very pretty.

Masha, someone stole your rosemary? People stole my mother's azaleas from her acreage and had the nerve to replant them two houses down, as though we wouldn't realize where they had gone. My sister waited until they were gone one night and dug them back up and replanted them in their original spots. They didn't resteal them. But there is no house on my mother's land, so it wasn't quite as nervy.

Back on topic, I never get seedlings, I suppose because of the heat and sandy soil. It's really hard to keep the soil moist, but it doesn't seem to stop the weeds from sprouting.

Nice pics, everyone.

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pamela, that's a lovely rose. I hope you'll post more photos of your unique roses.

Diane

10 years ago

Those really are beauties, Masha and Pam. (I went to look at the others you mentioned, Pam, and found HMF is down again -- sigh). Growing your own creations or finds is definitely fun -- the anticipation of the first blooms is an addictive high, for sure.

Not every plant meets expectations, though -- by a long shot. When I grew my own selections of Pacific Coast Iris -- going for browns and golds from seed pods from my mother's fancy clones -- the discard rate was about 49 out of every 50. Most seedlings reverted to the wild-type purple; others were just not well-shaped or healthy. My landlady at the time was scandalized at the number of plants I tossed as undesirables -- how could I throw out perfectly good plants?

• lucretia1
    10 years ago

A few favorites. First, an OP seedling from Belle de Crecy. It looks like the daddy was a rugosa--possibly the rugosa alba that was right next to Belle. Might just be the most fragrant rose in my garden:

{{gwi:293803}}

{{gwi:293805}}

A couple OP seedlings from Fara Shimbo, one mossy, one not:

{{gwi:293806}}

{{gwi:293807}}

My one successful hybrid (the rest of them the bees did the work.) Seed from Duchesse de Montebello, pollen from Fara Shimbo:
    {{gwi:293808}}

{{gwi:293809}}

And neat colors from La Belle Sultane. Almost looking hand painted:
    {{gwi:293810}}

{{gwi:293811}}

Tuscany Superb has produced a couple of that look a lot like the parent---except they're mosses. I also have a Tuscany Superb seedling that I'm watching like a hawk. The mother plant is right next to Rosa Glauca, and I've got a TS seedling with Rosa Glauca looking leaves. Time will tell if it's a good one or not.

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lucretia1, oh my! I love all your babies. They are beautiful roses. You mentioned that seedling from Belle de Crecy is very fragrant. How about the others?

Have you named any of them. I want them all! : >

Diane

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

I love seeing all of your own roses! I do not yet have any from seed. I have cross pollinated for 4 different hybrids and hope to germinate these over the winter. My fingers are crossed that my roses will be as successful as the ones I have seen here!

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Floridarose, I love that azalea story. Funny. Lou

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

What a neat post, and the little ones are all so beautiful. I especially like Maisie which looks very much as though it should be named after a little girl, and lucretia's lovely seedlings. It seems like an exciting way to create wonderful new roses, even though some may never make it past being distributed to friends and neighbors.

Ingrid

• roseseek
    10 years ago

The latest two seedlings to flower from last year's pollinations are:

April Mooncrest X Pookah. Not much crested evidenced yet, but the scent is very strong and spicy. The seedling is healthy and vigorous, which is quite promising.
    {{gwi:293812}}

[International Herald Tribune X (Lilac Charm X(R. Banksiae banksiae X Old Blush))] X Secret Garden Musk Climber. Ironically, a shorter, bushier plant, also vigorous and health with a strong, very sweet, "soapy" scent. Kim
    {{gwi:293813}}

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the photos Kim. Was wondering what your latest creations were looking like.

I love that "soapy" scent in roses.

Diane

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thanks, Diane. Odd things are popping up exciting me. There are a number of Hugonis hybrids and a few crested results. This is First Impression X April Mooncrest. I like how it ages into a "halo". Kim

{{gwi:293814}}
    {{gwi:293815}}
    {{gwi:293816}}
    {{gwi:293817}}

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I've been doing seeds for about 6 years now and have around 70 seedlings in the nursery at the moment. But these are a few of my favorites. I started out with all donated hips from on line friends and these were all open pollinations so I just use the mother parent in the IDs.

This one is from Madame Isaac Pereire and is the first seedling I ever grew in 2006. So it's kinda special to me being my first born and all. It's been in the ground for 3 years now and is about 8 feet tall and repeat blooms.
    {{gwi:293818}}

{{gwi:293820}}

This one is from 2007 and is also planted in the ground. It gets about 4 x 4 feet, is a once bloomer and I've kept it not so much because of the blooms, although I like them, but because of the unusual foliage on it. It's mother parent is Morning Jewel.
    {{gwi:293821}}

This next one is a mini rose called Son of a Peach (the only one that has an actual name yet) and is also planted in the garden. It's from hips of What a Peach and my brother took a fancy to it and named it. What a Peach has given me the most seedlings and the most variety in seedlings of any hips I've used.
    {{gwi:293822}}

I have hopes for this one. It's from Atlantic City hips and I love the orange edging on it. AC has a pinkish red edge but this one is definitely ORANGE!
    {{gwi:293823}}

And this last one is my first ever actual cross to produce a seedling and bloom!! Like I said up to the last couple of years I've been using OP hips. The few crosses that I made either didn't take, aborted before maturity or just never germinated. I have been very disappointed in that so when this one from last year's crop germinated this spring I was thrilled! When it actually grew and bloomed I was over the moon!!! Trump Card X Crimson Bouquet
    {{gwi:293824}}
    This was it's first ever bloom so I have no idea how it will change as it matures but in my eyes it's gorgeous, lol!

• rross
    10 years ago

Here's a seedling of an op Francis Dubreuil. It's growing in a cut down toilet roll core in all the dust and debris of my unheated, under-construction house. I really hope this seedling makes it. Others, from more robust parents, gave up the ghost.

• altorama Ray
    10 years ago

It's a volunteer, no idea if it is from seed. Rambler, repeat bloom, healthy, hips. I really love it.
    {{gwi:293835}}
    {{gwi:293838}}

The petals are curly, last a long time on the bush. Blooms bigger than those of Ballerina.

I NEVER throw volunteers away!

This post was edited by altorama on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 23:30

• roseseek
    10 years ago

A favorite from last year...Cal Poly X Indian Love Call. Thornless, healthy, repeat flowering with more of a formal bud and flower shape initially. One of the more exciting traits is it isn't simply pink, but almost a bicolor! Kim

{{gwi:293840}}
    {{gwi:293842}}
    {{gwi:293844}}

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

How exciting everyone! It's so meaningful to have your own baby roses. These are all lovely and unique.
    Seil, I planted seeds from Madame Isaac too. They're wonderful roses.
    Kim! I want all your new roses. You must be pleased.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thank you Pamela, we'll talk! There are a few I thought you might find interesting, especially this one...

[(R. Wichurana X Floradora) X [(Orangeade X Basye's Legacy) X R. Fedtschenkoana]] X Tom Thumb. I sent you the mother last summer, and you may have the only plant left of it. It's linked below. I had to cull it due to room. My hope was to raise a decent breeder from that cross. I'm intrigued to see if selfing this one might raise dwarf, bushy, healthy, repeat flowering shrub types.

There are several seedlings from this cross, ranging from a micro mini appearing plant which is beginning to climb to one which seems a real Jack and the Beanstalk type. Even a rather cute, blush pink, pom pom style which will likely be once flowering, I think, based upon its not flowering the first year. Kim
    {{gwi:293848}}N4408">
    The seedling flowered its first year, so it is a repeater. It appeared as if it might want to be a miniature last year, then it began growing like a Wichurana rambler. The bushier plant parts began flowering this spring and are continuing to flower through the heat while the "tendrils" continue to push toward the sky. Who knows how large it may eventually grow? But, it SHOULD flower all summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: 0-47-19DLFED

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

Kim,

I love the foliage of your Lav. hybrid.
    and your use of rose species in hybridizing.

Lux

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thank you! Kim

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Kim, It's just all exciting. Thank goodness my plant is OK if there are no more left. I feel like it and the others have so much potential. The Inner Wheel cross is reblooming as is the other long number that i can't remember right now. It's going to be a fine rambler. The Pride of Oakland cross that we decided to name after Anne Belovich is reblooming too, though the summer flowers are much smaller than the spring flowers.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

There may be one or two others in the hands of some of the RHA members, but none have listed them on HMF, so I don't know who else has them for sure. Both of those you mentioned are very nice ramblers and do, I feel, offer a lot of potential in the right hands. I'm very pleased they flourish in your wonderful garden! Places like your garden are where these things will be "saved" for future rose lovers to "re discover". That's exciting Anne's rose is giving you repeat. The original seedling offered a few later, scattered flowers for the first time this summer. I'm excited to see them all as mature plants, where they have the ability to be permitted to just throw themselves where they wish. That simply isn't possible here. Thank you for being such a great rose steward! Kim

Pride of Oakland seedling rambler Pamela wrote of.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Kim, Would it be OK if I copy that photo and send it to Anne?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Please feel free, Pamela. You may also send her to the rose's page on HMF. It's linked below. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: 0-47-19poo

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Thanks Kim.

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

Lots of beauties here! I am unable to post more than one pic using GW's image upload feature. I've been growing op seedlings for awhile and like some of them. I find it is easier to keep track of them if I name them, though I'm tentative about which look like they're going to be a good plant.

It is interesting how blooms can change as the plant matures. Last year my Fran's Piroutte sometimes had a high centered form. This spring the blooms were fluffy, ruffly, and very peppermint looking. So far it has good health, vigor, and rebloom and at times seems to have a good fragrance:

10 years ago

'Fourth of July' seems eager to produce seedlings, even, surprisingly, one as double as your 'Fran's Pirouette', erasmus -- very lovely.

I'm hoping your 'Francis Dubreuil' seedling survives, too, rross; will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I second what mendocino said, "homemade" roses carry extra personal meaning, each one is new and different, and, as evidenced by the posts on this thread, can be every bit as worthy as ones bought "off the shelf", so to speak!

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

Thank you, catspa. Fourth of July does seem to have the best seed germination of any rose I've tried. Here is my Paso Doble, another seedling from that plant. Serena, who posts on the rose gallery, named it for me after the Spanish style dance. I finally got my plant in the ground last fall. This year it is not showing good vigor or rebloom but could be developing roots. The stripes are close to black.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Erasmus, I'm hopelessly in love with your Fran's Pirouette. That is one of the prettiest striped roses I've ever seen. The rose itself has that antique look I love. If this rose were in commerce I'd buy it in a second. Have you considered propagating it at some time in the future?

Ingrid

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

erasmus, great roses. Thanks for showing us.

Diane

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Many different wonderful flowers. It's great to see them. The offspring of FOJ will apparently be many!

I just found this one this morning near 'Renae'. It looks like a white version of 'Renae'.
    {{gwi:293851}}
    Seems like it's been a good year for seedlings!

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

Thank you. I had no plan or purpose involved..didn't create the roses, just planted and grew them, but have had fun doing it. I have propagated some of my seedlings and might offer them for sale at some time. I had a bad year for seedlings this year. Last spring was so early, so I harvested seeds early and put them in my refrigerator early. I think they stayed cold too long before I planted them. Very few germinated. I have only two little seedlings of Comtesse de Provence coming along but am looking forward to seeing what they do.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Gorgeous babies, everyone.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Erasmus, I love the striped roses! Now i want to plant some Fourth of July seeds. It certainly makes a lot of hips.
    Hoov,A white Renae would be fabulous!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Seeing all the beautiful flowers, it makes me wonder if some of the "found" roses out there were seedlings raised in someone's yard, discovered to be winners, and passed along to family, friends, and neighbors, then rediscovered decades later.

Kind of cool!

• fogrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hoovb, your idea about pass along seedlings seems spot on to me. We all get excited at new roses and I'm sure the survivors have been passed along just like the named varieties.

One of the things I'd like to try when I retire is to grow seedlings from op hips and see what the bees created.

Diane

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

It seems possible to me that some of them may be volunteers or seedlings that someone raised. Some found roses are so wonderful that I can't believe their names were lost. Certainly if someone came to my garden in the future they'd find all kinds of puzzles.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I'm sure some of our found roses are self seedlings which volunteered somewhere. Rose seeds have long been available commercially, and particularly Chinas and "Fairy Roses" were distributed as seeds. R. Xanthina was brought to the US by Meyer (of Meyer Lemon fame) as seeds and raised once here. He found both single and double forms from those seeds.

Slater's Crimson China, among others, was sent out as seed. It is very successful as a self seeder, too. Any wonder why there are so many variations, all identified as Slater's Crimson China?

If "grandma" planted some seeds, or some came up in her garden, of course only the most vigorous, healthiest would have been selected to maintain. Those would likely have been the ones relatives passed around and even planted in the family plots. Often, selfs resemble the parents quite closely. Not exactly, but close enough for someone to look at them and proclaim they are this, or that variety. Grow them side by side and you'll see differences. Micro sports also occur all the time, altering basic traits just enough to change the rose so it's no longer the original. You might find a less, or more, double mutation. Take a look at Awakening and New Dawn. They COULD be mistaken for the same rose if you didn't know one or the other well enough, but they aren't the SAME rose. Kim

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

Your orange and white one is pretty, Seil. Here is my Aunt Margaret, which I might change to Margaret Blakeley.
    I don't remember offhand what the parent is but I know it looked nothing like this one. Aunt Margaret looks like a tea to me, open growth, few thorns, elongated leaves. It blooms often. I like the colors.

• Mikkel Hjarsaas
    8 years ago

My first rose, named efter my daughter Clara :)

• onewheeler
    8 years ago

I admire all of you who grow your own roses from seed. I have tried the last few years. I get a few of them to grow but then when I plant them outside they die. I have one little seedling, it has lived through 3 of our brutal winters. It is only about 6" tall and has never bloomed but I keep checking on it. All I know for sure is the hip was from an OP David Austin rose. Those are the only hips I manage to save. Last winter I didn't get to save any as I moved and the few roses I bought with me did not produce any hips. I have high hopes to gather some hips this fall. One of these days I will have one long enough to see it flower. I will just call it Patience because I have waited and waited. LOL

I love all of the babies you all shared. Thanks.

Valerie

• fogrose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks for posting Valerie. I revisited all the photos and am impressed all over again. Does anyone have new seedlings to share?

Diane

• fogrose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kim, love them all and the last one is to die for!!!

• roseseek
    8 years ago

Thank you!