SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soleado_gw

Poor soil drainage in raised bed?

soleado
16 years ago

Hi there,

I'm writing to ask for anyone's advice on what to do about the extremely stunted growth in my raised bed garden. The garden is a square foot garden. I'm a beginning gardener. It was constructed like this... 1. I cleared off all weeds/roots. 2. I added about two inches of sand then weed fabric before 3. adding the "soil mixture" which is vermiculite, peat moss, and mixed compost (store bought :( (I hadn't started the compost pile yet)). I live in Georgia. Our yard's soil is compact and clay. That's why I built the raised bed and added the layer of sand, thinking that this would improve drainage. Do you think that the severe dwarfism of the plants was due to poor drainage or poor nutrient availability because of inferior compost? Maybe both? A friend, who grew up growing food told me during the heat of the summer that it wasn't getting enough water. I've noted, however, that days would go by without watering and the soil would still be moist under the surface. The roots were not rotted. The plants did not die. They were just severely stunted. Also, they were yellow and not as green as possible. I used essentially the same mix to grow some bell pepper transplants literally near the garden in some grey blocks above ground. They were verdent green and seemed appropriate size. They were actually the smaller of the transplants and quickly took off and outgrew anything in the box. What confuses me is that two of the squares (in the corners) that face north had decent growth. I may consider raising the bed up on "stilts" and using plywood, but that raises questions because of the culture here. It gets hot in summer, so it could lose water and need watering more often. Hopefully though I will be able to find a happy medium. I really would appreciate anyone's advice. Frugal ideas are especially welcome. :O).

Comments (27)