SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeygraz

Dividing/transplanting perennials and grasses in Omaha

mikeygraz
16 years ago

Hey everyone-

We recently moved from southwest Ohio (Cincinnati/Dayton area, a nice zone 6, occasionally getting away with zone 7 hardy plants) to the Great Plains. We've spent one winter here and it certainly was a shock...when winter hits here it is REALLY winter...cold and frozen, very windy. Very different from my gardens in SW Ohio were I had something blooming almost every month of the year (sometimes every month if it was a good year).

Anyways, getting the point of this post. I'd like to transplant some perennials (Amsonia taebermontana, Stokesia laevis, Baptisia lactea, Carex ssp.). Would these plants survive the winter being transplanted now, or am I going to have to wait until early spring to move them? I don't think the ground will be frozen here until mid-late December, maybe later. Out here I thought it would be good to get a jump start on spring and move them now, let them get somewhat established so they can better handle our hot, dry summers.

I was also hoping to divide/transplant several large Miscanthus sinensis 'Adagio' or 'Morning Light' - they didn't have labels when we moved here but its one of those cultivars. Do you think it would be alright to divide and transplant some of these?

Also, I assume it would be alright to keep on planting container grown perennials still, right? I have some Baptisia australis, Filipendula rubra, Chasmanthium latifolium, Perovskia 'Little Spire') that are still in the containers i bought them in. When do you think it would be unwise to stop putting in perennials for the year? I'd like to get a few plantings in the ground before it gets too cold out.

Any advice, especially from great plains gardeners, would be very appreciated from this displaced easterner/forest lover.

thanks,

~Mike

Comments (10)