SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Putting perennials into dry area with wild daylilies

I need some advice on this:

I have a strip of wild daylilies I have planted on either side of the house. It is about 3 feet wide. It is beautiful when those bloom but there is nothing going on except leaves most of the time. The hose canÂt reach there without a lot of trouble, so I need to plant things that can live on mostly rainfall. My plan is to gradually pull some of the daylilies and put in plants to give a wider season of interest. I put in Sedum Autumn Joy at one end, it is doing very well. I bought some salvia on clearance too.

Since the wild daylilies, unlike the better behaved cultivars, send runners under the soil to colonize, I know that anything I put in there will have a daylily poking up through it in time. I donÂt want to pull out the wild daylilies entirely: my husband REALLY likes them, plus they came from my grandmotherÂs garden. Also having pulled them out over time in one garden, I know what a chore it is. You think you have them all then another pops up.

For that reason I donÂt want anything valuable there or that would annoy me to see that happening to. If I stick mostly with plants with similar foliage it should not bother me too much. I bought a load of mixed daffodils to plug in, since bulbs like it drier. No tulips since the leaves are wider. I love irises but most of my yard is too damp for them and they are not doing well. I will probably put some of my existing irises in and see how they do. If the irises are really happy there I may just plan on pulling up the daylilies whenever they encroach too far. I could use a tall grass or two as well, to hide a couple of ugly utility meters, and have more height variety.

Does this seems like a good idea or do you think the wild daylilies moving into other plants is a recipe for an untidy mess? How will these plants do with only rain? I will water of course until things get established, then they are on their own.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting