SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dillybeansown

Late summer/fall perennials for hot, dry partial shade

Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I know this is a tall order. Lol. I am having a hard time finding perennials that will provide color in late summer/early fall in something less than full sun. My sunny garden looks great right now. Coreopsis, salvia greggii and other salvias, lavender, rudbeckia hirta, etc. However, it seems that most of the good perennials for this time of year require lots of nice summer sun. A good portion of my beds are intermittent shade and blazing sun. I dare not plant true shade plants such as hostas and heucheras to negotiate away the need for blooms, as they fry in this location. But neither do true sun lovers like my coreopsis and salvias thrive. They peter along, limping out enough blooms to look pitiful. summers are hot and dry here, and although I mulch well and give supplemental water when I can, many Plants still don’t like the conditions.

The only successes in this part shade area so far are tall phlox, chelone, and, later in the season, hardy chrysanthemums. I also have a few foliage plants that like the conditions such as lambs ears and ice dance sedge . I’d like to try late blooming clematis to see how it does.

Any suggestions? What do you do in these areas this time of year? Really trying to avoid anything with orange undertones, but other than that most anything would be welcome.

Comments (15)