SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soitgoes_gw

Leaf curl on Eastern Redbud?

soitgoes
15 years ago

My redbud was planted last year in the early spring. This year it put on a fair amount of size. Recently I noticed some leaf curl. As you can see, there are some curled leaves and some healthy ones, often on the same branch.

It did lose some limbs a few weeks ago, due to some sort of mechanical damage. We also had one dry week after a rainy June. We were one day away from watering when we got an inch and a half of rain over several hours two nights ago. I noticed the leaf curl yesterday (the day after the rain), but it might have been there before.

I have used very small amounts of regular Roundup on some Japanese knotweed in the area, but I am very careful when I spray and nothing would have come near this tree. Normally we cut-and-paint, but some of the smaller plants are too tiny for that to be effective, so they get spritzed. I do not weed-and-feed the lawn. However, I have spot-used some Weed-B-Gone on some tough weeds that don't respond to hand-pulling. Again, there would not have been any foliar overspray onto this tree.

I examined the tree carefully and there is no sign of an insect infestation. There are some nibble marks here and there, but nothing extensive.

Any ideas? As you can see, the leaf-curl is quite wide spread.

Healthy leaves:

{{gwi:396482}}

Curled leaves:

{{gwi:396483}}

{{gwi:396484}}

Crown showing extent of curling:

{{gwi:396485}}

Comments (6)