SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clemmielover

best planting medium for roses?

clemmielover
10 years ago

Hi all!

I have gone full circle the last few weeks and have developed a rose addiction of grand dimensions.
My mother in laws half acre yard, fenced off with a few hundred feet of unsightly chain link fence in southern exposure has also cemented the cravings.

My questions today is about the soil.
What would be the ideal for roses?
When I been looking around I noticed a predominantly gritty mix and I'm thinking I didn't get my own quite the same,
the bed with the new America is right next to a leaky spout and the dirt deep down is really a heavy clay.
I dug it all out by 2x2x8 and replaced it with mushroom compost, builders sand and fine gravel.
As I learned to never use the same planting spot twice I placed the rose a few feet away.

My two nagging questions currently is if I used enough distance from the old spot, dirt replaced none the less.

And if I did enough amending of the dirt?
Is there any general guidelines for a ratio when mixing planting material for roses?

I should mention I have no intention on keeping up with spraying programs and also expect the roses to, once established, go without watering during the week.
There is 3 roses on the lot already and they bloom and go about their biz without me doing anything beside dunking a bag of Mcompost over the planting site after every flush of blooms.
I'm thinking they do so well on their own as all the amended beds are still surrounded by dense clay holding moisture under the lawn. ?
Pure speculation tou...

One more question, is there any correlation between Japanese beetle infestation and plants not properly watered?
Thanks!

Comments (6)