SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tesla29

Removing Large Tree Near Cinder Block Foundation - Damage?

tesla29
14 years ago

I've searched this forum and there are plenty of tree removal questions but I haven't located one specific to my situation - if I have overlooked a message, please direct me to it!

We am in the process of removing a very large diseased elm that sits 4' from the corner of our ranch-style home. The tree removal service has taken off all the limbs and left a 15' tall bare trunk, and they'll be back tomorrow to remove it.

My question is this: the owner of the service has given me a quote for grinding out the stump, but would prefer (at no charge to me) to rip out the entire remaining tree, roots and all, with a large excavator (there is some storm drainage being installed by the city and they will be digging up my front yard, so I assume he has worked out something with them to simply pull it out).

BUT I keep thinking this can't be good for my foundation. I have bare walls in my basement in this location - painted cinder blocks without visible cracks or roots. Is it possible that pulling out the large trunk and root base will damage my foundation? After searching online, it seems the stump grinder could vibrate enough to also hurt the foundation. I don't know what to do, and should have researched this earlier, but he was able to do the job earlier than we'd arranged.

Thanks for any advice or BTDT input!

Tesla29

Comments (3)