SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alleycallie_gw

Cut back atemesia now? Also Overwintering

16 years ago

I just bought some ornamental hardy grasses, some artemisia and some meadow sage to use on my slope.

The artemisia splay out leaving a hole in the middle. I read that deadheading the not-so-attractive flowers would help with splaying problems, and will do so next year. The question is: do I cut back the foliage now or next spring? I've gotten conflicting advice. I just hope I haven't planted them to late in the season to survive the winter. I'm less worried about the grasses and the sage. (Kansas, zone 5, almost zone 6)

I have read several posts about carefully mulching and "extra" protection for overwintering plants that might not make it through the winter without the extra help. What do you use? I'm fairly new at gardening and the past two winters haven't done anything. But now I have wuite a few varieties of new things and am worried about my lavendar and these new artemesia. Lavendar is very difficult to raise in my area of Kansas, and so far they are doing OK. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, and thanks to all who earlier posted names of gardening books. I have gotten three of them through Interlibrary Loan, two of them by Aust. Both are wonderful books. I plan on buying both of those.

alleycallie

Comments (6)