SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaoticdreams

Another Red question

Chaoticdreams
10 years ago

I'm on a quest for a decent Red for my husband. I've read quite a bit of old threads on the subject, to the point where all I am is confused. So I'm not trying to re-hash anything but, wow....

I currently have Don Juan, two unknowns, and Red Masterpiece. DJ and RM are babies still, so I can't judge yet how I'll like them but so far they are doing very well. Out of the unknowns, one blooms like crazy but is covered or defoliated from black spot and the other barely blooms at all and is also a BS magnet. They are both a dark red and unless cooler dryer weather improves them heaps and bounds, they are goners.

Currently I have on my list as available to get : Deep Secret, Veteran's Honor, Olympiad, Alec's Red, and Ingrid Bergman. I've read great things about Firefighter, Chrysler Imperial, Mr. Lincoln, and some of the Black roses, but I can't find any of these currently available to purchase. I'm just wanting to get some started in pots as our cold weather doesn't kick in til November at the earliest and then it's very mild. Come spring, I'm going to have tons of roses to plant, but I'll handle that then LOL

I'm looking for decent disease resistance and decent heat tolerance. I purchased Red Masterpiece because several sources sited it has having both. I hope that turns out to be true. Don Juan was because of a white trellis that needs a pick me up. I prefer large blooms for cutting and fragrance is a plus, but fragrance doesn't have to be there if the overall plant isn't a healthy one and will stand up to Florida heat/humidity. I just want a true red, be it a darker one like Deep Secret or something brighter, just one that is red and happy.

Personally, red isn't my favorite, but it is my husbands and I'd love to get some cut flowers for him occasionally.

I'll appreciate any suggestions and super sorry for digging up that dead horse for more beatings!!!!!

Comments (12)