SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Japanese Beetles in my yard apparently immune to Bayer & Sevin

ilovemytrees
10 years ago

I don't understand it.

Last year, Sevin dust successfully, with little effort, kept them completely off everything I have.

I didn't like working with the powder so I then switched to Bayer 3 in 1 Mite and Disease, and again, last year the Bayer worked great. It's also much easier to use than the powder. I only used the spray a couple of times and it worked perfectly.

Flash forward to last week the beetles appeared, and holy cow there are at least 10 times more of them! Instead of having 2 or 3 on them at any given time like last year, I'm having 20, 30 even what looks like 50 of them on one single bush. Many of them were mating.

I got my Bayer spray out and sprayed the leaves and the beetles.

The beetles were 100% completely unaffected.

They acted as if I hadn't sprayed anything. They were walking around, mating, even landing on my bushes around me without a care in the world.

I went and checked the expiration date on the bottle, and it was fine. Since I could see the spray was not doing anything I got in the car and bought the Sevin dust, and figured that would be the end of it.

Only not.

Today I go out to water the bushes and they were everywhere. Mating, walking, landing, eating, all the while they were doing this on leaves with the Sevin dust.

It's shocking (to me) how their population has grown SO much. I bought the 2 kinds of shrubs that I read online that Japanese Beetles didn't bother. Ha.

Fwiw, I HATE using pesticides. I understand the issues that go along with their use. I don't want to use them at all, and thankfully it's only for 6 weeks or so.

What does this say about these beetles that they are not affected by these 2 pesticides?

Edited to add: I put on a lot more powder on today. I'm hoping that I just didnt apply enough powder, and that this will help. But I remember last year not having to apply much powder at all, and it worked.

I hope they can still make chlorophyll with all this powder on them.

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 14:14

Comments (16)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES