SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

a few somewhat noteworthy trees in suburban DC

I seem to recall I did a similar post a few years ago...? Oh well, here's an update then.
BTW I'm not going to disclose exact locations. The golden rule is a good thing to remember: do unto others as you would have others do unto you. If I had a rare tree in my yard, I would not want my location permanently posted online. Especially since the people who planted these are almost certainly long gone given the high turnover in the region.
I will make them clickable so as not to violate "the rules"

First, the Bethesda Monkey Puzzle, vying with one at the Barnes in Philadelphia for largest on the US East Coast:
{{gwi:391065}}

It has some worrying dieback. I wonder if this is an effect of the very cold winter, one of the coldest it would have ever seen, assuming it was planted NLT 1986. (could have been earlier)
I can't go find my pictures of this from the late 90s, but it has grown quite a bit. I'd say it's definitely growing faster than 1' a year.
{{gwi:391068}}

Now, a Cunninghamia in North Arlington. I found this around the same time frame of 15 or so years ago. I also have another picture of it that is unlocateable, from what I remember it really hasn't gotten much bigger.
{{gwi:391072}}

I got a tip from a landscaper I briefly worked for in the late 1990s about this cedar. It also doesn't seem much bigger than I remember - definitely not taller, maybe a little fatter. That being said, it's one of the biggest cedars I've seen in the residential suburbs of DC, it's on a commanding hillside above a road, you can see where I blurred out a street sign. Too bad about the disease problem, I wonder what that is. Given that there have been several known incidents of intransigence between the Fairfax County environmental officials and wealthy landowners about tree protection requirements (also happened in Moco, with someone famous who I forget), I sure hope they aren't poisoning it to justify cutting it down.
{{gwi:391075}}

Finally a couple pictures from a private gardening I briefly did weeding and odd jobs for in the late 90s. This is a 35-ish year old Fagus 'Roseomarginata'. We concluded the average growth rate was definitely under 1' a year, but he said it had gotten a little faster in recent years. I remember it being much smaller, but that was a long time ago. Soil here is very old clay farm soil, probably pretty good, not developer fill.
{{gwi:391079}}

But it's definitely slow - they have a Fagus americana they planted at the same time that was about twice as large:
{{gwi:391083}}

A Fagus 'Asplenifolia' he thinks was planted a little later, but is almost as slow as the Fagus 'Roseomarginata'.
{{gwi:391085}}

Finally, these Colorado Blue Spruces were planted by my parents a couple years after I was born, so also about 35 years ago:

{{gwi:391089}}

Ouch! I last saw these trees 5 years ago, and they weren't happy looking then but they were still alive. I think the very hot summers of 2010, 2011, and 2012, which had droughts alternating with periods of heavy rains, finished these off. Not sure what they are thinking not to remove them at this point...crazy notion they might return? (new owners - not my parents!) I noticed a *lot* of really bad looking blue spruces in the suburbs of DC, more than I remember when I left the area roughly 10 years ago.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 14:13

Comments (12)