SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momcatjones

is it even POSSIBLE to weed bed full of rhizomes?

momcatjones
14 years ago

haven't been here in a long time, but sure am hoping someone might be able to help me! my "main" [largest, of course...] garden over the past coupla years has been totally populated by ONE single little plant! don't have the tag any longer - and have had brain surgeries [hence my disabilities...] - but am pretty sure i remember right that it was a DIANTHUS of all things - but unlike any i've ever seen or can find on a websearch. b4 i pulled everything - above ground, anyway - the other day, that one tiny plant had filled a bed that has to be at least 12 x 20!! the 'front' of the garden i'd actually put in several roses & added perennials each year as i could - and the 'back' of the garden [separated only by a wooden path, nothing in the ground as a divider *sigh*], being much more shaded, i left to the dianthus. many things kinda just 'escape' my addled brain, tbh, and b4 i knew it, the back was filled with a moderately attractive VERY tall [4-6 ft] 'groundcover' that was (have suddenly forgotten the word completely - ooh! i HATE that!) stalky, with cream-colored edges - but as i kinda lost whatever 'health' i'd had left, got to be real neglected, and there was also some sort of weed that was AS tall, but spiny - but at least they were [or seemed] easy to pull!

ANYway...to get to my question/problem! as i said, i started doing just 'regular' weeding, but then decided to yank the dianthus out as well, since it just ... won't stop! once i got down to bare-ish ground, and started digging whenever i had difficulty with a clean pull, i ran into a seemingly localized [like, RIGHT under the stem of one of the dianthus stalks] grouping of roots. not huge, but not small either. at first, i thought i might've just run into some far-reaching tree roots, as the property line and various trees were only 6-7 feet away...but then i kept on running into those groupings of 'roots'

i vaguely seemed to recall the word rhizome, but thought it had to do with vines and very specific plants. all i can really say about the original planting is that i don't THINK i would have planted anything that indicated it would spread like it has OR that would spread by what i always called 'runners'.

i've pulled up a number of those 'root groupings' but then i just kinda felt like i was probly wasting my time, and i was sweating like the proverbial pig in this humidity! i've read "The weed that can't be killed..." in the great lakes gardening forum - mostly about gout- and bindweeds. not sure if it was applicable but is doesn't sound at ALL hopeful to even TRY to 'clean up' under the soil, so i can plant some flowers and not have to weed every day! the sad thing is, wresting that garden out of the yard, of what folks around here call 'field grass' [aka some grass and lots of weeds...!] many years years ago, was a task i still can't believe i took on with no help. i used the lasagna- gardening method, and it really seemed to work.

i have the sneaking feeling i really messed up by planting that one 'innocent' TEENY tiny little plant in my then new garden!

i also have a feeling that i'm going to learn that there's really not much of ANYthing i can do to clean this up, huh?

appreciate anything anyone can tell me. if it's gonna take a lot of 'ooomph' it's gonna take me ... years. *shudder*

thanx, all!

sherry jones =^..^= aka momcat

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH