SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xiolablux

Need advice, don't even know where to begin with my weed issue

xiolablux
7 years ago

Sorry this is so long, but I am in desperate need of advice and completely clueless when it comes to gardening. We bought our first house almost 3 years ago as a flip. We are in the suburbs of Chicago, so zone 5. We learned from neighbors that the previous owners didn’t maintain the landscape at all. When we moved in, we tore out a bunch of huge shrubs and trees that engulfed the house and created a bed of new smaller shrubs, annuals, and perennials in the front in the empty space. We didn’t do anything with the space in the back where the shrubs were other than adding some new topsoil (we ran out of money).

The first year the bed in the front did well despite our complete lack of knowledge. I read some books, but neither my husband nor I know the first thing about landscaping or gardening. I’m in school and work full time so my time is very limited. I could not keep up with the weed growth this year and I admit to getting frustrated and just letting it go. Now I have a huge mess on my hands and I have no idea how to start dealing with it. Plus I still don’t have much time. I am so embarrassed for how I have let it go.

Where do I even begin getting this under control for next year so we can start fresh? Here is what I’m dealing with.

Along the walkway, there are hostas and some other perennial flower that the flippers planted. We want to move these. Should we even bother trying to since the weeds are growing up through them or would we just transplant weeds with them? I’m thinking we should just rip all of this out, put weed killer down, and leave it until next year when we can plant again and mulch early in the season.

This is the stuff we put in the first spring. The weeds are just taking over now and I don’t have time to maintain it. I’m thinking we should just remove the part in front of the stones next year and put grass there so there will be much less to maintain.

This area I want to keep as part of the bed next year. It was dirt but now the grass has now started to grow there. Do we put weed killer on that or just dig it up and put top soil? Also those tall skinny blades of grass everywhere (coming up through the flowers and shrubs). Are they weeds or actual blades of grass?

This is the back where we removed the shrubs. We want to just put grass here next year but I’m afraid the weeds will just keep coming. Should we just spray the heck out of it with weed killer and cover it until next year?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz