SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gibbsgirl_gw

Help! Soil we brought is was FULL of weeds

gibbsgirl
14 years ago

Anyone had this happen?

This spring was our first garden EVER. We made a lot of raised beds from various stuff (old tires, railroad ties, cinder blocks, bricks, etc).

We moved around soil already here (bought the house summer 08). And, we had some truck loads brought in for other stuff and I used the extra dirt from that for the beds.

Then, I still needed more (had a BIG area), so I bought several dozen sacks of top soil and potting soil from Rural King and a co-op when they were about $1.19.

Made a nice set-up and was really inexpensive.

But, the places that I filled in with the soil from the sacks grew AWFUL weeds. We checked all around our property and they don't grow anywhere else.

There was only a few types and they only grew where the sack dirt was. One was like a ground spreading succulent. The other had 7-8 stalks that grew in a circle straight up 7+ feet high. They grew SUPER fast.

My husband said he thinks the sack dirt must be full of the seeds for these weed plants.

I let a few of them grow where it was impossible to get my veggies going, and asked a neighbor who's gardened in our neighborhood for years what she thought they were. She said she didn't know, but she had the same stuff growing this year and she had put in some sack dirt this year too.

So, I'm not sure how to undo the problem I think I've created. If the seeds were in the dirt will they keep growing every year?

Do I need to get rid of the dirt and start over?

Can I keep the dirt I have, and stop the weeds without using something chemical to stop them?

Any ideas of what to expect next year or what to do would be appreciated.

By the way, I don't plan to replant the garden until spring. For now, I've turned my goats and poultry out into the garden. They're eating off the garden leftovers and fertilizing for me until it's time to clean it up for spring planting.

Comments (19)