SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nuclearmomb18

Root/rhizome weed invasion in my fancy flower beds

nuclearmomb18
8 years ago

How do I eliminate the underground/rhizome weeds that have invaded my flower beds? I have a very busy English cottage style flower garden - poppies, penstemon, lilies, etc. in my flower beds, but they keep getting crowded out by bishops weed, milkweed, evening primrose and even some grasses. I chose not to mulch, as I was enjoying the self-seeders (foxgloves, sweet william, and other surprises) but now I feel like this was a poor choice. I am constantly weeding all the little grasses and purslane. I feel like these can be managed with physical weeding and some round-up, if I'm desperate, but the evening primrose and bishop's weed are all root invaders. Should I just black-plastic the entire bed, and start over, after it all dies? Does that means losing everything I don't dig out to save? Do I need to dig out my small shrubs and favorite herbaceous perennials? What is the best time to do this in zone 5? I don't want to loose my short gardening season, so I was thinking I should do this in mid-September, while I can still identify the plants.

If you can give me advice on this, or refer me to a good garden renovation book, that would be great! Thank you!!!!

Comments (7)