SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atlantasassybelle

Bulbs and Blood Meal

atlantasassybelle
13 years ago

Please forgive me if I'm breaking the rules by posting this in two different threads, however this issue has been weighing on me heavily and I'm truly worried.

I recently just invested a large amount of time and money to plant over 1300 bulbs (tulips, daffodils, crocus, chinodoxa, species tulips, snow drops, you name it!) in my garden beds. As we have a large squirrel and rabbit population near my house, I'd read that blood meal was an effective deterrent to them digging up bulbs.

I did not mix the blood meal in with all the soil. Instead, I used the "lasagna layering" approach for my beds and I sprinkled a layer of blood meal over the deepest layer of bulbs (tulips and daffodils) after I'd put in about 2 inches of garden soil on top of them. Then I planted the rest of the bulbs and sprinkled another layer of blood meal on top of the soil and then added a thick layer of Scott's Nature Scapes Color Enhanced Mulch (about 2-3 inches). I'm now reading that blood meal adds a lot of nitrogen to the soil and that too much could cause the bulbs to not flower. I can't do anything about the blood meal down deep in the soil (but it was less than a half cup spread over a 4 x 8, 1.5 foot deep bed and an even smaller amount in another bed), however I am concerned that the blood meal on the surface may also add to the nitrogen problem and seep down into the soil. We've had some heavy rains today, and I've watered daily since I put the blood meal and mulch down last week.

Is there a risk that I've just created a no flower situation come spring? Is there any additive (like Bone Meal) I can also add on top of the soil or should I peel back the layers of mulch and try to scrape away the blood meal that hasn't already sunk down into the soil with watering and heavy rains? Am I worried over nothing?

Comments (7)