SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acer_gw

I planted this nice oak in ... JULY (but I can explain)!

acer
11 years ago

We were going to a family reunion when my husband found this pretty little Shumard oak for half price at a local garden center. It looked very healthy with fuzzy new growth at the tips. We needed a shade tree and this is just what I wanted, so it went with us. I don't get down there very often (it's a 2-hour drive from home), so we had to plant it that day. It was the last miserably hot day of the recent heat wave. The tree was potted. I didn't see any circling roots, so I just stuck the soil/root mass in the ground without loosening anything. Of course I didn't want to disturb the roots since the tree's not dormant now. I know a thing or two about planting trees, and we cleared all the sod, planted slightly above grade, constructed a basin, and applied lots of mulch without piling it against the trunk. We watered before, during, and after planting. The weather has turned and it's now cloudy, rainy, and cooler. Of course that will change in the weeks to come. I have relatives who will water it during dry spells (but to be honest, I don't know about a slow, patient soaking from them). Was it foolish to plant it in July? I have high hopes for much-needed shade.

Comments (8)