SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19964263

How can I get rid of a Silky Oak Tree

18 years ago

Its belongs to our neighbours. It and another two were planted in the one hole about 180cm (6 ft) from the side boundary fence three years ago. I used to have my raised veggie garden beds along that fence till I realised I was watering all his trees as every day my beds were so dry and on digging down I find in the soil a mass of fine roots, but as I gave their trees a good kick start they are now flying away the tallest one is about 5 mts (15 ft).

On realising what was happening hubby dug down along our fence line and severed a lot of the roots but that was in June when the soil was like concrete, also its hard working along the side a fence, he also put some roof sheeting there as well though it was not very deep, but with the rain we have had in the past 9 days I look at that tree every morning and I reckon it has grown a couple of feet lately.

I dont know why people want to grow trees in suburbia on the fence line that can reach heights of up to 30 mts (100 ft) in the wild even if we do live on 3/4 acre blocks here, they just pop anything in and say its will do kind of thing , you know these trees do not serve any purpose it will not shade their house or block out anything as they have planted them about 4 ft from their big steel shed that sits on a extra high concrete slab I wish the roots would go under that slab instead of in my garden.

These trees should be on the Invasive Weed list in the Suburbs as they throw thousands of seeds everywhere, we are forever pulling up seedings that have grown from the seeds of the neighbours on the other side fence, but at least that lovely neighbour has allowed my hubby to do a lot of work on that tree. Please dont say talk to them about it we have tried with no success. Looking forward to some bright idea's...Cheers..MM.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions