dlpasti

What have you feed your compost pile today? October

dlpasti
15 years ago

Light feeding today

two banana peelings

some egg shells

UCG

something resembling vegies from the frig--but they had fur!

leaves cleaned up by front door

Comments (64)

• old_dirt 6a
    15 years ago

I did a lot of garden clean up today and sowed my winter cover crops. I'm starting a new compost pile with:
    16 tomato plants
    12 pepper plants
    marigolds
    cucumber vines
    lots of nasturtiums
    I'll add lots more tomorrow and anticipate the falling leaves.

• the_virginian
    15 years ago

Dog poop, tortoise poop, a dead bird, grass clippings, coffee grounds, egg shells, orange peels and chopped banana leaves.

• Related Discussions

April 2009 - What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (23)
    I had the most interesting discovery yesterday. I was cleaning out my garage and found a box of stuff that must have been from two thanksgivings ago (so that is 17 months ago). IN this box were some photos, notes and memos and a casserole dish that thought was lost forever. The dish had leftovers in it...from two thanksgivings ago. I must have put it in the box, set it down on the shelf in the garage and forgot where I put it. Anyway, whatever food had been in that dish had completely decomposed to an unrecognizable blob of brown goo. It smelled horrific (anaerobic of course) but was amazing to me. I dumped the blob into my compost pile and am now soaking the dish in bleach and dishsoap. I think it may have either been dressing or sweet potato casserole... just thinking about what I may have brought to dinner... I'm not sure if I will ever be able to use that dish again though.
    ...See More

May 2010 What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (61)
    one of our layer hens who outlived 2 hawk attacks but decided to quietly succumb to the night before turning a year old (moment of silence) kitchen scraps mad-science experiments found in the back of the fridge 5 gals. chicken manure one nearly fully-formed chick and its egg remnants (1st-time broody hen isn't the smartest and squished the poor egg 2 wks before hatching) too many egg shells to count UCGs a few wheelbarrows full of weeds, mostly thistle a few wheelbarrows full of soiled chick bedding 20 gals. pizzaria kitchen prep and leftovers one ground squirrel who couldn't outrun our dog a lot of rain shredded leaves from last fall to cover the odors We saw a bear last week on the other side of the property. Last night some beastie was poking around the house/garage/compost; dogs were barking in middle of night then excitedly following many-a-scent trail this morning. Now I'm wondering if I buried everything "deep enough". Doh!
    ...See More

July Thread: What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (89)
    This morning it got kitchen scraps - bell pepper scraps, onion scraps, mushroom scraps, ucg, tomato scraps, used (uneaten) dog food, left-over coffee, tea bags, and shredded paper to add some browns to it. I then added more water to the container before taking it out to the pile - it helps get everything out of the container, wet the papers down to where they'd stay with it, and helps with the current dry state of my pile. Then all of my piles got watered, because it's been a couple weeks since our last rainfall. I do very passive composting, but whatever I'm doing seems to work, because when I turn the piles, it smells like earth. :)
    ...See More

October 2009 What Have You Fed Your Compost Today?

Q

Comments (41)
    I offered, completely altruistically, you understand, to help out a neighbouring allotmenteer by taking 2 barrow loads of spent flowers and weeds off her hands. Plus my own 6 barrow loads of weeds, spent fava and courgette (zucchini) plants. But I still haven't got that pallet bin filled yet. Very warm weather today for gardening. I was wishing I had put on a sleeveless top instead of the long sleeves I was wearing. I have four bins at the allotment and one at home. The leaves have only just started falling here. Many are still quite green. No frosts at all yet.
    ...See More
  • cuticlesfromhell
    15 years ago

The worms had minestrone:
    onion peels
    garlic peels
    zucchini ends
    carrot peels
    potato peels
    parsley stems

and apple cake:
    apple peels
    egg shells

some ucg/utb to wash it down

and a toilet paper roll for good luck

And the compost got a lot of garden clippings including a big pile of ornamental grass that was too floppy and had to be cut down.

Annpat, I threw my old stale bread out to the squirrels.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dlpasti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry to say, not much---just a small bag of UCG mixed in--when I turned it this evening. There were some interesting bugs in there!

• cuticlesfromhell
    15 years ago

For the worms:
    broccoli stems
    old stale tortilla chips
    ucg/utb
    banana peel
    apple cores
    onion/garlic skins

For the compost:
    spent perennials' foliage and annuals

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

torn-up junk mail saturated with old coffee & tea
    coffee grounds
    tea bags
    banana peels
    eggshells

but today I get to scavenge the office for paper & cardboard-Yay!

• dlpasti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just started a new pile-----
    cleaned out a flower bed--threw it all out in the yard
    mowed (bagged) lots of fallen leaves/grass/flower garden stuff (green/brown mix)
    added some egg shells
    banana bread
    choc cake
    UCG
    a couple of mushy tomatoes

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Tomorrow, they shall get,

coffee grounds and tea bags
    rotten tomaters
    noodles
    rotten grapefruit
    egg shells
    tons of shredded paper.

I shall dig a whole in the pile, dump it in, add the shredded paper and put a cinder block on top of it to give the critters something to play with while they try to dig up the noodles. ha!

• cuticlesfromhell
    15 years ago

Worms:
    a couple of zucchinis that went bad in the fridge
    rotten tomatoes, it must be that time of year
    and the usual assortment of utb/ucg/onion & garlic peels
    and a nice blanket of salt marsh hay from my tomato bed

Compost:
    spent tomato vines
    weeds
    subsoil from planting hole
    a smattering of horse manure
    and a little salt marsh hay

• sfg_newbie
    15 years ago

2 egg shells
    a baked sweet potato growing fur in the fridge
    a couple past their prime tomatoes
    a tea bag

• the_virginian
    15 years ago

Tonight I will add eggs shells, used paper towels, UCG and kitchen waste.

• cuticlesfromhell
    15 years ago

"kitchen waste" pffft, such a generalized term. We want details!!!

for example, the 1/4 baked potato that DH did not eat. The worms will.

• lynxe
    15 years ago

Going into the compost pile or lasagna beds I'm building, 'tho maybe not all today:

Contents of compost bucket: Apple cores, pear cores, coffee grounds from French press, tops from bunch of radishes, veg bits from making ratatouille, mouse sans head and one leg (thanks, Minu!), mouse's tail (not a rubberband lying on the rug after all), various other veg bits and pieces, water from washing up dishes and coffee pot, bits of dried cat food, some crushed egg shells, grapefruit peels, dregs from wine glasses & wine bottle, olive pits. I usually empty the bucket multiple times a day but didn't do it last night or this a.m.

Shrimp shells and the paper the shrimp came in.

Bag of crushed-up peanut shells.

Contents of paper grocery store bag: Tissues, napkins (stashed in purse at art opening), paper plates (ditto), toothpicks (ditto again), cotton swabs, dustpan contents, shredded small-sized paper bags.

Three bags of UCG from Starbucks.

Three large cartons of rotted pumpkins and gourds.

Forgotten cauliflower from the fridge.

Part of newspaper stash.

Some of my approximately 20 cardboard boxes & containers.

Scoopings from litter box: The litter, which is made from pea pods, plus the cats' urine, plus the brown paper bags the scoopings are in.

Dried leaves.

Garden cleanup: Tomato plants, rotting cukes and the vines, and whatever.

Sawdust from our contractor's work on two pine storm doors.

Piece de resistance???? Bucket of fish heads, scales, tails, from local fish store.

• cuticlesfromhell
    15 years ago

That's what I'm talking about, lynxe.

Peapod litter? Tell me more.

• sophiera
    15 years ago

one piece of stale bread
    Bad grape parts
    Banana peel

perhaps some other things later on.

• lynxe
    15 years ago

cuticlesfromhell -- may I call you cfh? :))) -- peapod litter brand name is P-Pod. According to the package, the litter is not necessarily made just from pea pods, as I'd thought. Seems it's a "mint fresh" clumping litter from "plant fibers". The company is in Washington state....cannot tell you much more from the current bag, as it's outside on the patio, filled with poison ivy. The stuff's a bit pricy, with a mid-sized (?) bag $9.99 from the store I go to (which discounts). But it works very well, with almost no odor, and it's very soft. I will not use bentonite-based litters due to the environmental damage the extraction process causes, not to mention the dust.

Back to the OP -- we went to three art openings last night, so my purse came home containing more paper plates, napkins, and toothpicks.

And excellent news! One of the area's Starbucks apparently is only app. 1/2 mile from the gym my husband uses almost daily, and he's already getting into the collecting thing....came home with two bags of UCGs yesterday afternoon! This is so exciting....!

• dlpasti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

UCG
    lots of leaves
    grass clippings
    cleaned out another flower bed and shredded w/lawnmower
    egg shells
    over done toast
    leaves from house plants
    dryer lint
    ------compost pile no longer gets cigarette butts---I quit smoking 3 weeks ago! :-)

• cuticlesfromhell
    15 years ago

thanks for the litter info, lynxe. Speaking of litters, the Cuticular family just adopted two kittehs this weekend! Hence, the worms have already gotten...

catfud the finicky, slightly freaked out catz didn't eat
    plus
    lettuce gone bad
    lime rind
    apple cores
    utb/ucg
    bell pepper insides and top
    onion and garlic peels
    dryer lint

And the compost got more spent perennial leaves and weeds.

Congrats on kicking the habit, dlpasti. You rock!!

• gnomey
    15 years ago

peach pits
    banana peels
    old pizza
    old chicken nuggets
    shredded junk mail
    a shredded office product catalog

yesterday I fed it a bunch of weeds and we're up to 120F today.. so exciting.. I got a compost thermometer for my birthday yesterday.

• bobboberan
    15 years ago

watermelon shell
    banana peels
    coffee grounds
    6 large sunflowers
    lots of celery (5 gallon pail in total)
    potato peel
    6 pepper plants
    sawdust
    leaves with grass clippings

• cuticlesfromhell
    15 years ago

Worm food:
    leftover cat food
    a slice of ham that a very finicky cat didn't want!?!
    chicken bones
    celery top
    tomato
    utb/ucg
    paper towel
    banana peel
    onion skin

Here is a link that might be useful: Escapist fun: The Amazing Race recaps

• sophiera
    15 years ago

Six toilet paper rolls
    A dead basil plant
    a bag of expired melon seeds.

I feel bed for the melon seeds :(

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

hulls from red yucca seeds
    banana peel
    apple core
    eggshells
    starchy cooking water
    prunings from overgrown perennials
    coffee grounds
    tea bags
    wood shavings
    shredded junk mail

• dlpasti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Started a new pile this evening-----
    cut down and chopped three clumps of canna's
    chopped leaves(maple, yellow/red)
    cut down and chopped russian sage
    chopped purple pod bean plants
    the "fuzzzz" from the ceiling fans
    dryer lint
    for moisture--a partial jug of OJ that was found in
    back of the frig

• shropshire_lad
    15 years ago

Do compost piles require that you have worms in them, or is that something entirely different? Do these compost/worm piles need to be in containers, or can you just make a pile in the yard and throw things on it? (I'm a newbie to the world of composting, but want to start a heap).

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

You don't need anything special for compost;
    mine is in several piles throughout the yard, with no structure around it, but people who live in more urban areas or areas with homeowners associations may have to build/buy a bin to contain everything.

It seems to me that earthworms just naturally appear in the bottom layer of compost, especially if it has a lot of leaves & coffee grounds.

You might check out the Vermicomposting Forum for info on composting for maximum worm "participation".

• eggle
    15 years ago

Wife made a her first pumpkin pie with real pumpkin. It was good, but ended up hidden in the frig so it was forgotten about. So the worms got:

half a pumpkin pie
    3 egg shells
    bits of uneaten donuts from the kids

• cuticlesfromhell
    15 years ago

Shropshire lad: I happen to have two different composts. One is a bed made of cinder blocks, filled with horse manure, autumn leaves (and now some salt marsh hay) in which I have red wriggler worms and I put all my kitchen garbage in there.

The other is a regular old compost pile consisting of garden waste and some soil and manure and anything compostable I come across. There may be worms in there, but nothing deliberate.

Both systems create lovely compost, though I'm very partial to me worms.

And...since there was a par-tay at the House of Cuticle, my worms got a lot of chow. Good times!

chicken bones
    spare rib bones
    wilty lettuce
    onion peels
    garlic peels
    lemon, lime and orange rinds
    carrot peels, tops and bottoms
    celery tops and bottoms
    avocado shells and pits
    pepper innards and tops
    cucumber peels
    mushroom bits
    scraped off plates
    used paper napkins and towels
    egg shells
    coffee grounds
    tea bags

Whew - maybe I should throw some Alka Seltzer in there too.

• sophiera
    15 years ago

Lots of expired rice.

Perhaps my hamster's bedding too

• lynxe
    15 years ago

Really slacking off here. :(

Contents of compost bucket, dumped multiple times a day as usual - veg peels, apple & pear cores, onion skins, veg odds & ends, egg shells, etc. Plus lots of miscellaneous, eg, bits of dried cat food, bits of wet cat food, some paper towels used to wipe off greasy pans & plates, etc. Plus water from washing dishes. Yes, I am such a Compost Wacko that I try to wash dishes over the bucket.

Contents of coffee pot.

Everything else I've collected is still sitting around while I continue to work on new beds. I've got quite a haul from several trips from Starbucks, not to mention tons of dried leaves from our trees. Many piles of leaves just sitting on the lawn while I work on the ones on the patio; I left those there for a couple of weeks, and they're nicely dried. I'm crumbling them fine and adding to the completed beds as mulch, and to new beds as part of the layers.

Planning a run to the pumpkin farm today to pick up as many cartons of rotted pumpkins & gourds as they'll have.

• lynxe
    15 years ago

I do have nice collections of additional browns: bags of well, bags. Bags of newspapers and junk mail. Additions to my cardboard collection - collected whenever I've stopped at a store or business. Bags of used tissues, paper towel and toilet paper rolls, paper napkins. That kind of thing.

But I'm not putting any of that stuff in the piles at this point. I figure I've got plenty of leaves right now.

• cuticlesfromhell
    15 years ago

Poor hungry worms had to wait a while. I guess I haven't cooked much in the last few days. But they finally got:

lots of leftover cat food from very very finicky catseses
    old baked salmon
    egg shells
    gloopy lettuce bits
    tomato ends
    toilet paper roll
    zucchini ends
    utb/ucg

• dlpasti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In the last three days---about 3" of rain

• dlpasti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

egg shells
    dryer lint
    more ceiling fan fuzz
    more chopped up canna's
    piece of finger that got in the way chopping down canna's
    lots of leaves
    grass clippings

• spiced_ham
    15 years ago

Leaves I stole from the neighbor's front lawn, year end garden mulch grass clippings, and a slow squirrel.

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

Has anyone here ever cut his/her finger while working in the garden & held it over the compost pile for the blood to drip?

not saying I ever did that....

• dlpasti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish it was just a cut......its an owie, more than a bobo!

today I feed my new pile 4X8X3 8 bags of leaves(can't even tell I picked them up the way the wind is dumping them in the yard---I have drifts of leaves)

• ixnod
    15 years ago

UCG

Banana, mango, grape, apple, frozen veggies, weeds from yard work, and

OPL

• dlpasti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lots of leaves
    appropriated some leaves/grass clippings from two neighbors yards
    UCG----Starbucks has decided to let me pick up again YEAH!!!
    egg shells
    last of potted plants in yard(impatients and begonias)

got my new CP 3/4 full, but that'll settle down fast!

• jeremyjs
    15 years ago

I fed mine a groundhog that's been terrorizing my moms garden for the past year.

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

A new enclosure, went from free standing to using chicken wire I had. I figured it would give me a bigger core to cook it.

OPBL
    egg shells
    banana peels
    leftover pasta
    cream of wheat that spilled
    oatmeal
    tomato branches
    sunflowers
    apple cores
    carrot peelings

• dlpasti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lots of leaves (purdy yellow ones today)
    a couple of funky green peppers from the fridge
    egg shells
    2 bags of UCG
    dryer lint
    used paper towles, etc...
    4 5 gal buckets of rain water

(wed if its decent out--I get to mow the neighbors yard for the grass clippings/leaves)

• plus2
    15 years ago

Anybody adding just white table sugar to their pile?

• luckygal
    15 years ago

I spread about 3/4 of a garbage bin of UCG from a local coffee shop on the lasagna bed. There were over 200 paper coffee filters which I picked up and put in my regular compost bin and a few in my new compost/mulch BOX. Didn't want those filters blowing away in the wind.

Besides all those many paper filters my poor deprived compost BIN just gets the same old, same old (salad trimmings, coffee grounds and filter, egg shells, tea bags) every day altho it's getting more tea bags since the cold weather started cause we drink more hot tea. Wish I could scrounge goodies like so many of you but there is sometimes a limit what I'll do for my garden. And our groundhogs and squirrels are way too fast for me to catch.

Our bears had left 4 piles on the lawn last week but I told DH to throw it out beyond the house yard fence so they hopefully get the idea to only do their business out there and stay out of MY yard. If he had put it in the compost they might get the idea that's theirs and tough but I have first dibs.

I also spread all of my compost/mulch PILE on the garden today which was 4 ATV trailer loads plus a couple of wheelbarrow loads.

• azruss
    15 years ago

OK, new to composting. ucg I assume is used coffee grounds. What is utb?

• bradley787
    15 years ago

Butternut squash
    UCG w/filter
    paper plate w/old cat food
    leaves
    twigs
    avocado
    old coffee
    sip of beer
    onion skins
    tiny bit of rye bread

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    15 years ago

I talked with the neighbor as he was raking his lawn and asked about his leaves as we left for dinner out. When we got back the leaves were in his yard waste trash can. I wheeled it over to my compost bins and rebuilt a pile with layers of poorly mixed old kitchen scraps and the fresh leaves. That should help even things out and break down nicely. Also, drove back to some leaf bags I'd spotted on the way to the restaurant. I think DH took another way home so I wouldn't ask to stop and figuring I'd forget about them :) ... but I just went back out myself and grabbed them. Turned out to be 4 large bags of beautiful dry grass clippings. There should be plenty of leaves in the next few weeks to mix with them. Now I just have to decide if they stay at my house or go out to the school garden I'm trying hard to improve. So far, I've left them in the bags.

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

My neighbor uses granulated sugar to rot stumps;
    she pours it over the stump, waters it well & keeps it watered, & it really does rot the stumps.

Since rotting is the goal in composting, I'd put that sugar in the pile!

UTB=used tea bags.

I hurt my shoulder cleaning flower beds on Sunday, so haven't been adding to the heaps/piles/sheets, but I do have a bunch of stuff eagerly waiting to rot:

4 o'clock tops by the million

zinnias that a landscaper threw out to make room for his winter display

box of paper junk from office (printer paper that was printed wrong, flyers, junk mail, paper towel & toilet tissue rolls, frozen food boxes).

3 bags of mixed leaves & grass clippings

• cornelius
    14 years ago

small quantity of vegetable scraps, some organic humus/manure combo that i actually bought ($1.59 for a 40-lb bag), some crushed cashews, a bit of yogurt, some shredded bit of green twig bark from shrubs, some leaf mulch/leaf mold/dried tree leaves (off the roof). just doing an indoor bin, started with a huge quantity of soil, so i'm doing it differently from most. i'd recommend composters to get that free used starbucks coffee grounds--i have no link with the company at all, not plugging them in any way--which are free and available in hefty quantity. curious whether the yogurt can be a problem--it has some sodium, according to the nutritional info.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago