SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

July Thread: What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

sylviatexas1
15 years ago

patsy suggested this idea, so let's try it:

Since the old thread was getting so long, & since available materials vary according to weather & season, let's do a monthly thread.

It'll keep the thread to a manageable length, & might give more timely clues as to what people can compost at the time.

Since July in Texas is the closest thing to he!! I know of, weather-&-heat-wise, my offerings are mostly of the "burnt" variety:

Today I fed my compost...

overgrown & leggy oregano & mint trimmings

daisy stalks (my poor daisies!)

rose prunings

a few Chinese tallow branches that were whacking me every time I walked by

leftover coffee & tea

a little bit of yucky pineapple juice

pieces of an old ladder that was used as a rose trellis for several years but that has sunken lopsidedly into the ground, making my beautiful LaMarque rose look...drunk.

(Of course, now it looks depressed, but it'll get over that.)

What have you fed *your* compost pile today??

Comments (89)

• Redthistle
    15 years ago

Okay, I hope I don't gross anyone out.

I added:

coffee grounds
    grapefruit rinds
    zucchini ends
    one moldy piece of yellow squash
    several cardboard toilet paper roll holders
    wilted lettuce
    peanut butter jar wash
    banana peels
    hackberry clippings
    shrimp
    alittle urine and...
    one dead rat buried in the pile deeply.

Not far from where I live developers cleared a large area of land which caused all of the fox, deer, snakes, rats, and raccoons to move into our neighborhood. Most of my neighbors feel very sorry for these animals and several of us have had problems with rats. My cat killed this one, so he went into the pile. (I didn't handle him with my bare hands though.)

• blutarski
    15 years ago

No need to feel sorry for the rats.

Yesterday:

a few dead blooms
    some type of fungus/moss/or whatall that was growing in a sempervivum I repotted.

This morning:

two toadstools.

Now that I want to add more material, I have a dearth of green stuff. We need to either clean out the fridge or go shopping.

• Related Discussions

February 2011 What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (24)
    I have several used Little Hotties Hand Warmers. Please, no lecture on 'going green', wearing gloves or using a hot water bottle. I care for dying patients and the importance of warm hands when touching someone is crucial. Carrying one of these in my pocket for a quick hand warm up has worked well. The ingredients in one small hand warmer is iron powder, water, salt, activated charcoal and vermiculite. As most of the ingredients would be safe, I wondered primarily about the iron powder and that little bit of salt and if they would be safe additions for compost.
    ...See More

May 2009 What Have You Fed Your Compost PIle Today?

Q

Comments (64)
    egg shells, watermelon rinds, strawberry tops, salad scraps, 1/2 roastbeef with swiss, bacon, onions, and yummy avocado on homemade sourdough bun (i almost cried), bones from Friday Night Chickenwings Extraveganza, various paper products that accompanied said feast, old receipts from cleaning out my purse, TP and PT rolls, empty 50# flour bag, lemon/lime slices, and a few gulps of beer I was unable to finish. Turned the large orchard bin adding the above ingredients together with thin layers of my nearly gone leaves from last fall and the ever-present UCGs. Topped with a good soaking (and, of course, DH's contribution of liquid gold) and am letting simmer for a few days before I turn again. The bottom is already looking and smelling like black gold!
    ...See More

July 2012: What have you fed your compost today?

Q

Comments (11)
    I cleaned out the freezer so added a lot of stuff I've ignored for over a year. Buried the meat items well and turned the entire pile on top. Layered with grass clippings, weeds, and my usual bin of kitchen goodies which was mostly apple cores, orange rinds, egg shells, tea leaves, onion and garlic peels, paper towels, avocado rinds and stones - those last break down extremely slowly or never, but it's fun to see them appear and reappear as I turn the pile. LOL Wet the entire thing down as I layered it so hope it's finished enough in a month or so to use as mulch. Everything from the freezer was frozen solid and I wondered how long it would take to thaw and start to decompose covered with grass and sawdust with ambient air temps at 80F.
    ...See More

July 2010 What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (36)
    Besides the usual kitchen scraps, my compost is beginning to collect the output of my garden and yard. Up 'till now, I'd been putting the grass clippings on the garden beds as mulch. Now, I'm building a compost pile for next fall. Several bushels of apples that fall from the trees. Expired potato plants. Bolted lettuce. Grass clippings. Next month I'll pull the chipper over to the blue pine trees and grind up some 'browns' (pine straw) to add to all those greens.
    ...See More
  • lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    15 years ago

pulled weeds
    mexican sage trimmings
    california poppy trimmings
    avacado peels (chopped up with scissors)
    citrus peels (scissored)
    the contents of a can of bean that seemed "off"

five gallons of coffee grounds and filters
    (coffee dug right into soil)

I live in an apartment, and garden behind the warehouse where I work. I actually bring my compost to work with me.

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

And I am on green overload! I had a happy garbage day yesterday, as a neighbor put out four black bags of grass clippings, and I still stopped by SB for UCG. What's a girl to do?

I started a garden expansion sheet compost area. :)

For my pile,

OP grass clippings
    OP old leaves
    OP UCG and filters
    My personal banana peel

• blutarski
    15 years ago

this afternoon:

a pot full of rotting garden scraps (blooms, leaves, stems, etc.)
    an old quarter of a canteloupe.
    a tea bag
    several end pieces of bread
    some left over canned peas
    plate scrapins- mostly spaghetti and tomato sauce
    one garlic bread stick
    a few dead or dying dracanea marginata leaves
    hair from my electric razor
    a banana peel
    a shredded paper towel

Luckily I'll have teabags UCG and an old bag of baby carrots I saw in the fridge tomorrow- the green drought may be over.

• blutarski
    15 years ago

more pieces of old bread
    left over bagel pieces, with cream cheese
    old shredded cheese
    old tomato sauce
    two old pickles
    half a can of chef boyardee meat ravioli
    half of a big sugar free chocolate easter egg
    a brown paper bag
    various paper towels
    a few generous handfuls of chopped up tee shirt
    two toadstools
    dead flowers
    shed exoskeleton from a locust
    two japanese beetle corpses that ants were trying to carry off
    a dead moth

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

I have been interested in composting for a few months, can I just pile stuff up on the ground,(in back corner) and add to it each day, or does it have to be in a container. I did put down cardboard boxes then top soil then grass clippings then scraps in between. Was trying to kill some grass. Picked up a bundle of news papers from the news office. Do they have to be shredded, I have added lots of the items everone has mentioned on here. INformation please.
    Thanks in advance

• lisatx04
    15 years ago

green and red pepper scraps
    dog hair
    brown paper bag
    onion peel and scraps
    ends of 4 pounds of collard greens
    eggshells
    old hot dog and hamburger rolls
    rose stems and leaves from bouquet hubby bought me
    contents of a full kitchen crock
    water and more water

• blutarski
    15 years ago

a gallon sized bin of chopped corn husks and silk
    same sized bin of shredded newspaper and shredded cotton cloth.
    a few ounces of old vegetable juice

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Regular compost bin got lemon and grapefruit peels, apple core, coffee grounds, salad fixin's scraps, and some fresh grass clippings to top it off.

Big ol' compost pile got turned and layered with 3/4 of a big bag of coffee grounds, fresh grass clippings, and a few handfuls of alfalfa pellets to try to hurry it up as it's not doing much very quickly. Also got watered.

I played with alfalfa tea also today - watered a few special plants with the few gallons that were left and started 6 new buckets. If my compost would hurry up I would quit doing this - it's stinky stuff!

• sudzy
    15 years ago

Sigh. Yes, unfortunately a couple of squash plants. Stems are rotting in the ground. Way too much rain last couple of weeks. Near 8in in last week, standing water in the yard for a couple of days. Good news forecasting a dry week ahead.

Then the usual, coffee grounds, lots of shredded paper, veggie peelings.

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

Today I tossed in a biobag of kitchen leavings and yet more weeds.

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

weeds
    spent daylily scapes (lazily snipped up with pruners)
    spent cornflower plants (even lazier-ly snipped up with pruners)
    two brown papers used to dry my hands in Starbucks bathroom
    uneaten black beans from last night's taco salad supper
    a few bits of burlap I noticed in the garage corner
    dryer lint
    bucket of aquarium water
    junk mail

Starbucks coffee ground (added to expansion sheet compost)

****caroline- pile it, and tear it, water it, and wait

• blutarski
    15 years ago

yesterday:
    several feet of pothos vines
    more banana peels (my kids go ape over bananas)
    UCG and filter
    tea bag
    an african violet leaf
    a dead spider the girls found
    some sedum flower stalks
    plate scrapins- some scalloped potatoes and sausage grease
    leftover canned carrots
    junk mail
    a gallon bin of torn up paper towels

• sudzy
    15 years ago

Okay, I hope I don't gross anyone out.

I should know better than to read about compost while I'm eating!. Yesterday read all about SNAKES (yikes) in compost and today it's rats. At least the rat was dead. :)

Come to think of it, today I've composted nothing! Oops, gotta remedy that.

• blutarski
    15 years ago

Only a peel from a half of banana.

My bin is a living, seething pile of sweet decomposition. It's a bit wet, but it's hot and with only a slight whiff of manure. I little more paper tonight and it should be a-okay for a week or so sit while I'm on vacation.

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

Today: more weeds (I'll never run out of those!) and a Watchtower that was left inside my screen door.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

I deadheaded the garden today plus pulled a few weeds then covered with a bit of fine wood shavings and some fresh grass clippings. Later DH will add our day's accumulation of kitchen veggie scraps. I've asked him to dig them into the center of the pile but he was not overly impressed! :) I'll do it tomorrow if he doesn't. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will my compost be, or DH's compost epiphany. He's mostly very helpful.

We picked up 3 bags of UCG from the coffee shop so I'll put some of that on top.

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

Torn up printer paper "extra pages"
    round cardboard from a frozen pizza
    paper sacks from Sonic
    tissue from my nosebleed---now, all I need to do is cry in it!

• blutarski
    15 years ago

some dead blooms
    left over wax beans
    tomato sauce and grated cheese from dinner
    a burnt english muffin
    parts of a sub roll from lunch
    a paper bag, part of which had some salad dressing on it
    a paper towel
    two live sempervivum leaves

I was going to put some dead bugs I found in it, but I got distracted.

• blutarski
    15 years ago

...and this morning:

a few ounces of tea and milk
    crumlblins left in the bag of 'meatless breakfast bites' I had this morning.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

junk mail
    icky uneaten cat food (it's so hot here even the cats aren't eating!)
    2 squeezed-out lemon wedges
    used paper napkins from lunch
    used tea bags/coffee grounds/filters from yesterday
    trimmings from hollyhocks & mums

• lisatx04
    15 years ago

Yesterday I added:
    biobag of leftover kitchen scraps
    lettuce
    grapes
    grass clippings

Can't get it to heat up so I will go to Starbuck's for some UCG, and hope it helps.

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

Just now I added:

biobag full of kitchen waste, mostly garlic scraps and stems from the garlic I've been harvesting

cut up cardboard

cut up junk mail and sales flyers

cat fur from one of my long haired cats

some of my hair

used paper towels

more weeds

I found out the name of the weed that has been the bane of my life and my yard -- prickly lettuce. My yard has more of this stuff than grass.

• blutarski
    15 years ago

UCG and filter
    2-3 tea bags
    a feather

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

It's toooo hoooooot..........outside, that is. Pile is good.:)

6 popscicle sticks.

That's it.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

torn-up cardboard
    stale crackers
    water from rinsing out peanut butter jar
    1/2 can of Coca-Cola
    usual tea bags/coffee filters/grounds

• jenv14
    15 years ago

Today was a big day for my compost tumbler. I emptied it out for the first time- the compost is mostly done, and I'm putting in fruit trees next week. My son helped me hold it steady while I dumped it, and he was quite unhappy with the smelly stuff at the bottom. Apparently I needed more dry stuff in there!

Fresh stuff went in:
    Baby carrots
    spoiled apples
    pineapple rind and core
    small piece of lost cucumber
    junk mail
    tissues
    used paper towels
    a wooden skewer
    shredded cardboard boxes - paperboard, corrugated goes to the worms
    dog hair
    vacuum cleaner harvest
    nicely chopped broccoli stems
    trimmings from my bird of paradise

Now I get to go get a little horse poo from the Lippizaner stable, and maybe they will have some spoiled hay for me, too. That horse poo heats my bin right up. Maybe this time I will manage it properly to get a batch in one month instead of six.

• cali1023
    15 years ago

Just set up my second compost bin. My current compost census is as follows: Two Garden Gourmet formal bins, a free-form leaf-mold pile in the corner near the brush pile, the brush pile, two little free-form piles that fall where they lay and/or where they get water, a windrow in the side yard and a worm bin. Whew!

Recent additions:
    * Comfrey leaves
    * Borage leaves and stalks
    * Urine-soaked shredded junk mail
    * Leaves and vines from out of control squash vine
    * Leaves from out of control zuke
    * Gross tomatoes
    * Blackberries the slugs beat me to
    * Six bags of leaves and brush from the side of the road
    * Gross plums and apricots
    * Grass, clover and misc weed clippings
    * Goose feathers from cushions of a down sofa we got rid of. Four cushions to go before the side yard stops looking like I blew up a goose with dynamite!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cali-

your post reminds me of the "I Love Lucy" episode where they all decided to re-do the Mertz's apartment;

They painted the walls & ripped apart the upholstery at the same time, & someone turned on a fan to dry the paint!

• lisatx04
    15 years ago

Let's see...

Sunday I added UCG and grass.

Today: temp is finally up-130! I added biobag of kitchen scraps and shredded paper. Will add more later.

• wonderpets
    15 years ago

Monday I added
    -week's worth of UCG and some filters from office
    -old oranges and grapefruits (cutup)
    -soft apple
    -rotten potatoes
    -tomato stems
    -cucumber ends and skins
    -dryer lint
    -poptart box
    -sweet potato skins
    -onion skins (saved by hubby!)
    -torn cardboard that had been outside through several rains and was wet, so I could tear easily
    -office paper shreds to cover
    -paper towel and toilet paper rolls
    -meat thermometer from walmart to try to get a temp reading. Need something longer.

Tonight I'll add (couldn't take it out last night)
    -strawberry tops
    -grape stems
    -cut up corn husks
    -broken up corn cobs
    -corn that the kids didn't eat
    -tomato bits
    -leftover green beans
    -apple juice from sippy cups
    -paper towel roll
    and whatever comes up at dinner time.

Now, if I can just find a stealth way to get urine out there. Hubby is mostly on board at this point -- don't want him to freak out. I think he thinks I'm joking when I ask him to go pee on the pile.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

just collect it in a bottle or bucket & maybe add some other stuff (shredded paper, torn-up cardboard, food scraps, etc) for disguise!

• wonderpets
    15 years ago

Thanks, Sylvia. That's what I was leaning toward -- opaque container and picking my times to carry it out there. Bizarre idea that probably qualifies me for the wacko level: dedicated funnel for bathroom use and empty soda bottles. Just have to make sure to remember which bottle is soda and which is donation.....

• stella_h
    15 years ago

Just the usual:
    misc. food scraps
    melon rind
    coffee grounds and filter
    headless dead mouse (I hope this doesn't become "usual")

• scunningham
    15 years ago

Big compost day today

Corn husks
    Green bean clippings
    Zucchini Peelings (lots of them)
    Cantaloupe rinds chopped up
    Crushed eggs shells
    Tea bags
    Garden weeds
    Tomato clippings
    Shredded newspaper to balance things out

Stopped at Starbucks and got 3 bags of UCGS to add tomorrow. ItÂs pouring rain now.

Scott

• dlpasti
    15 years ago

Sylvia---just can't resist----care for a cup of coffee? lol

this weeks list

coffee grounds
    egg shells
    grass/leaves(mowed after our light blow sun evening with 94 mph winds-lots of small twigs and leaves)
    garbage bag of rotting, shredded leaves from last fall
    cleaned out fridge, what a haul!
    dryer lint

• smokensqueal
    15 years ago

Wow do you all really keep that much track of what you throw in there? Here's my list...

A ice cream bucket full of house scraps. Don't ask me what's in there because I don't do the cooking but I'm sure it can be anything like tomatos, apple cores, banana peels, and almost anything else in the kitchen except for the sink. ;) But I told the wife no meat so I know that's not in there.
    From the garden I threw in grass, some very rich and gooy moss from our ditch that doesn't drain, some weeds pulled from the gardens and a bag of leaves from last year to off set the ooy gooy moss.

What I took out earlier this month was my first harvest of wonderful smelling and feeling compost. Got about 20 or so gallons out of it. Wow my plants love it.

By the way what is UCG that everyone talks about?

• jollyrd
    15 years ago

UCG = used coffee grounds

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

UCG's and 4 bags of banana peels from Starbucks, along with the regular veggie scraps and basil stems from shearing down the plants.

Starbucks uses bananas??

• lisatx04
    15 years ago

We have had so much rain here, I haven't been out to the pile in a few days...
    today I will be adding dog hair
    dryer lint
    vacuum cleaner contents
    icky strawberries
    eggshells

Will add more later on today..

• flowersnhens
    15 years ago

I guess I will jump in here.lol

For the last 3 days:

Coffee grinds
    grapefruit peelings
    eggs shells
    banana peels
    parsnip and Carrot peelings
    left over ranier Cherries
    Wilted endive from the garden
    brocolli and Zuccini scraps
    leftover coffee from the pot
    apple scraps
    watermelon rinds
    onion pieces
    cabbage
    and later today:...Chicken manure with the shavings from the coop...cleaning day in the coop.
    I know there is more,,but can't think of them all.
    =)

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

Bag full of OLD ornamental corn- mom grew it 7 years ago and put it in her freezer to make a wreath. Pop wanted room for ice cream after 7 years....

torn up newspaper
    torn up pizza boxes x 2
    bf's beer soaked limes from date, brand new item for my pile! :))))) Can you say wacko?
    UCG filters from the SB run- ground went straight in the garden
    quilt fabric bits
    old daylily leaves
    2 toothpicks

• fiwit
    15 years ago

This morning it got kitchen scraps - bell pepper scraps, onion scraps, mushroom scraps, ucg, tomato scraps, used (uneaten) dog food, left-over coffee, tea bags, and shredded paper to add some browns to it. I then added more water to the container before taking it out to the pile - it helps get everything out of the container, wet the papers down to where they'd stay with it, and helps with the current dry state of my pile.

Then all of my piles got watered, because it's been a couple weeks since our last rainfall.

I do very passive composting, but whatever I'm doing seems to work, because when I turn the piles, it smells like earth. :)

• blutarski
    15 years ago

Came home from vacation on Sunday and found the pile shrunken noticeably.

Yesterday...

Garden scraps
    a locust exoskeleton
    one large sansevieria leaf, chopped
    one of those postcard inserts you get in magazines, shredded.

• macky77
    15 years ago

Kitchen scraps
    2 gallons of pea pods
    Deadheadings from the daylilies

• gnomey
    15 years ago

I hit the jackpot today and found 19 trash bags full of brown magnolia leaves that water from the heavy rains have gotten into and I got 2 big bags of UCG from Starbucks. A Dunkin Donuts just opened in town and I asked them to start saving UCG for me too. :) I also dug some cannas and ginger that had root rot, so the compost tumbler will get that and some banana peels and a brown paper bag too.

I won't put all the leaves in at once - they won't all fit anyway, but I've got a good supply of browns sitting there for when I need them.

I'm glad for this forum because no one around here gets why I'm so excited.

• blutarski
    15 years ago

I had turned the pile yesterday and things seemed fine, but when I turned the bin on its head- wheeewwww, just a TAD manure-y.

Despite this, I had the following to add:

four banana peels
    a used tea bag
    leaves from the carnage I found after my vacation: pothos, dracenea, peace lily, birdsnest fern.
    a few dead headed blooms.

I did add some browns:

a few used paper towels
    a small amount of pasta that fell on the stove when it was transferred from colander to pot
    one chopped bamboo skewer.

I am busily shredding junk mail and newspaper to balance things out tomorrow.

• stella_h
    15 years ago

Besides the daily coffee grounds and kitchen scraps:

a loaf of brown bread turned an interesting shade of green
    1/4 box of powdered milk labeled "Best before 9-12-2003"
    *another* headless dead mouse

• blutarski
    15 years ago

a few dead headed blooms
    a shopping bag full of shredded junk mail, used paper towels, a paper bag, a thank you note, and some paperish odds and ends
    some left over cooked pasta with tomato sauce
    some uncooked pasta that fell on the floor.

I think I really need more browns, but I'll be gone for the next week. Stirred it really well, and flipped the bin. There has been a decrease in the odor since I turned it yesterday, perhaps some aeration was required.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert