SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Homeless Trees. Frustrating.

denninmi
13 years ago

About 5 or 6 years ago, I lost all of my large, mature ash trees to Emerald Ash Borer, 5 of them. A younger tree was able to fight it off until Imadcloprid hit the market, and it's thriving and ok with its annual treatment (well, until the EAB's evolve resistance, anyway).

So, I replaced the ashes with a nice assortment -- a sweet gum, golden Metasequoia, American beech, columnar Norway maple (yes, I know, junk tree in some ways, but pretty and I needed something kind of narrow for the one space), and finally a sourwood. The sourwood didn't do so well after a couple of years, so I moved it to a different area of the yard with clay soil and more moisture, and it's happy there.

The rest of them grew pretty well. Until January 2009, when the Township came around and announced they were coming through with 8 foot wide "safety paths" right through my yard.

Because the County had previously shifted the main road towards my side by almost 20 feet, there was virtually no public right of way anymore (a little strip less than 2 feet wide at the narrowest. The Township essentially forced us to sell them an easement (and frankly didn't pay what I felt they should have for it, either). Right where these trees and other landscaping was planted. If we didn't sell voluntarily, they would have taken us to court and got it through eminent domain.

Last year in the end of March, I spent a week of my evenings digging everything up and potting it all. I intended to replant it after the Township was done with its carnage.

Well, they put in the "safety path" over Memorial Day week and the next week. It's an 8 foot "highway to nowhere" IMO -- a waste of public money that wasn't really necessary, but OK, fine, it's done.

Alas, when I look at this thing in real life, there's just no good way to replant my trees back out there. It looks so much more imposing than it did on paper. And, they have the perpetual option to come back and redo this thing as needed so can destroy anything planted within 10 feet of it per the contract they made us sign.

So, now I have a bunch of homeless, potted trees. Which are actually really pretty where I have them around my patio and driveway, in nice decorative pots with annuals around the base. They range from about 8 to 12 feet tall now. All are lush, full, and healthy and put on a lot of new growth this year.

Where in the blazes am I going to plant these things? Last winter they were heeled in. They need "forever" sites by this fall. My yard is full already.

Just venting. Thank you.

Comments (7)