SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dochudson

Composting during (Snowy) winter - NYC/Zone 6

dochudson
11 years ago

Hello folks,

This is my first attempt to do composting.

Next month, I am going to start vegetable+fruit juicing for my health issues. That is going to leave a LOT of peels and dried up (i.e. juiced) vegetables. (This will mainly include a LOT of cabbage and celery, beetroot, carrots, citrus, apple etc.) I do not want to throw this stuff away as this summer I started herb gardening in my 750sq. ft. NYC apartment (with balcony, on the first floor).

Since this is my first attempt, I plan to go super cheap. I plan to buy 3 Homer buckets with lids (5-gallon each) from Home Depot and use it as composters.

DW is wary of smell in the kitchen, hence they will be placed outside (away from sunlight. The balcony is East-facing but due to another building, sunlight is blocked). Along with the juicing left-overs, there will be left-over tea will be going for composting. Paper as carbon source.

My questions are,

- if it will really stink?

- how it will perform in winter? I understand, it will be slower that usual but I don't need this stuff until next summer either.

- how long does it take for the compost to 'get going'?

- if freezing will kill composting? (I plan to add earthworms in it but I read conflicting results on this board).

What other suggestions/recommendations experts here have?

Many thanks in advance.

(P.S. - I really do not have access to dried leaves or cattle manure. I plan to use potting soil that I bought from HomeDepot in these composters.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Homer Bucket 5-Gal. Orange Buckets (3-Pack)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County