SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Covering compost (ed manure) piles for winter

2ajsmama
11 years ago

My DH can't stand weeds. Anywhere. My dad got us some well-composted (several decades old) horse manure this spring, we used some (beautiful stuff) this year, had 2 big piles left that of course went weedy. I just figured that we'd whack them off and dig them out next year when I went to incorporate the manure into the planting beds.

But DH decided to take a day and a machete to hack all the weeds out and pile them next to the manure, also pulled all the roots. Great - we now have a beautiful fertile BARE compost pile and we've already had 1 killing freeze, going to be having frost every night probably starting next week (can't count on mild winter like last winter).

The plan was to keep my burlap/hay mulch on the planting beds (planted potatoes, peppers and tomatoes - all harvested now) to decompose over the winter, till it in (pulling out any intact burlap first) in the spring. I haven't pulled all the squash (covered with burlap and survived the freeze) yet, chard and beets still in the house garden, but plan was to cover the area with shredded leaves, organic coffee chaff, compost (from kitchen scraps been working all summer, or manure) and more burlap over the winter, then remove the burlap (I know that won't be totally decomposed yet) in the spring. No cover crops this year.

But what do I do with the bare piles now???

Comments (3)