SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
habitat_gardener

How high can I pile horse manure on my garden?

habitat_gardener
17 years ago

I haven't used horse manure before, but this fall we've had a mountain of horse manure available at the community garden, so all it takes is 15 minutes with a pitchfork and wheelbarrow to add it to my garden. I've used a lot -- added a bunch to my paths, covered with mulch (to add to the compost bins later); added about 8 wheelbarrows full to my nonplanted garden beds (about 140 sf), with a little mulch on top, which I will plant in the spring; filled a cardboard-lined tomato cage with 1 wheelbarrow full.

Still, every time I go to the garden, I see the huge pile of potential compost off to the side, and I wonder where else I can put it in my garden. How high would you pile it on garden beds that will be planted in April or May? Can I add it to the raspberry beds? Or have I already used enough?

The horse manure appears to be mostly fluffy wood shavings, with occasional dry lumps of manure, like raisins in a pudding. I've also been collecting coffee grounds, so one of these days -- after the freeze, when it's good gardening weather again -- I plan to turn the manure that is on the garden beds and mix in some coffee grounds.

(By the way, I'll also have a couple cubic yards of homemade compost, made from kitchen and garden waste, ready by spring.)

Comments (3)