SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeroc_gw

The Organic Vegan Dilemma

zeroc
13 years ago

In a year or two I will be moving to an area where there is a large vegan population and I think there's a good niche market for vegan organic food. Organics usually still center around animal products which are no goes for vegans. So i'm trying to hunt down information on vegan organics since manure, blood meal, etc are out. I would also like to limit the amount of inputs I bring into my farm to the surrounding community which namely would end up being a lot of wood waste, leaves, and other high C:N ratio plant material. I know wood doesn't compost very fast and locks up nitrogen if added to soil too soon and adding manure for nitrogen is out because of vegan principles. So what ways can I help speed up the proceed through vegan organic means to break down high carbon materials. I don't know if this has ever been covered, but just a thought is there some kind of plants that would actually grow on a pile of wood chips? Some nitrogen fixer that would inject nitrogen into the compost pile essentially? Even if this would be a multi-year process I would be fine which, just would have to start a new pile each year, not a big deal.

Thanks,

Eric

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!